Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2014, 10:23 PM   #1

Share |

Cooktop as Heater

Why are you not supposed to use a cook-top as a space heater? When I was growing up my parents would light up the stove before bed on the coldest nights to keep the apartment warm.

I heard recently that it's not a good idea.
michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:55 PM   #2

Cooktop as Heater

Safety would be a big one. Hopefully the safety issues associated with leaving a cooktop on and unattended for long periods are obvious enough that they don't need further explanation. The other issue would be that it is a fairly inefficient way to heat your home. An inexpensive space heater would be a better option.
If you are snowed-in and freezing with no other option then it would work, just make sure to vent it if it's gas. It is still pretty common to see people heating their homes with their ovens in some places, but usually that's something you see in situations where they aren't paying for the utilities.

Last edited by dftc; 01-31-2014 at 10:57 PM.
dftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 11:46 PM   #3

Cooktop as Heater

How efficient would the cheap space heater be compared to the cooktop? I was thinking that the space heater being electric would end up costing more than the cooktop because it's gas.

Technically you're not supposed to go to sleep with the space heater running either.
michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:48 AM   #4

Cooktop as Heater

It may be more efficient than electric, I don't know where you live and what the prices are.

The big dangers here are CO poisoning and fire. Both situations can and do happen to hundreds of people every year in the US from doing exactly what you are talking about. Usually I see people boiling large pots of water.

An open flame inside your home will use up oxygen and produce CO. If you don't have a fresh air source coming in then it will build up over time and you may have no idea until it's too late. Two or three hours is not a big deal. Overnight definitely could be. This is why a furnace uses a heat exchanger.

I am not being as alarmist about this as I really want to be because I know a lot of people do use this heating method and if you are really cold you might feel like you have no other option.

If you are going to do this then get a CO detector and read up on the signs of CO poisoning. Better yet get an inexpensive electric oil space heater from Walmart and put a couple extra blankets on the bed.

Last edited by dftc; 02-01-2014 at 03:57 AM.
dftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Cooktop as Heater

A range top puts off high CO, and can cause death.