Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #1

Share |

Converting a Heil McClain Steam Boiler to Hot Water

I am looking to hook up a Heil McClain Low Pressure Residential Steam Boiler to Hot Water Low pressure. How much is this going to require I have been around few steam boilers and someone I know said they knew of someone trying to sell a used 150000 BTU nat gas steam boiler model EG-45-SPDN Series 3 and not sure if this is a wise investment I have two looped pex undercement floor systems one on hot water heater that is in operation and another system in my garage not in use yet. The guy is asking $300 for the boiler but leary of conversion and he is tearing the house down in 10 days so I need to get it out soon, any advice would be of great help, Thanks.

makdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #2

I don't know the size of your zones but looking at it initially it seems like the Weil -McLain is rather oversize for your application. This boiler is still made so it can't be that old. A lot also depends on the condition of the boiler. Steam systems run at under 2 PSI and now with water system, you're using a lot more pressure. Steam boilers are also more susceptible to corrosion due to operating only partially filled with water so with added pressure you may be more susceptible to leaks.

I would also check the Weil-McLain site and the I&O manuals for this model in steam and in water configurations and see what needs to be changed to make their steam boiler into one for water. If you have to pull old pipe plugs this can be a real problem. http://www.weil-mclain.com/professio...iterature.html
The price is right though it maybe more trouble than it's worth and I'd be thinking about operating costs.

Kool Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:08 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

The EG can be used as either a water or steam boiler.
Its only a control and pressure relief valve change to convert it.

However. It does sound like a 45 will be grossly over sized for your application. Unless that garage is very large.

While the price sounds good.
Be prepared to change out all the seals after moving it. Since they may leak after having been used at the current location, and then being disturbed so much from transport.
Its not hard. But its also not a very fun job.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 PM   #4

Never buy a heating or cooling appliance without a heat loss to know what you need. Oversizing is more costly then proper sizing. It is usually more headaches then it is worth.
tk03 is offline   Reply With Quote