Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |

"Convector" questions

These are what I've got on the first floor of my house, and I have a few questions.

I think they operate in a big loop--there's a 1" cast-iron pipe that travels around my basement, everywhere that one of these exists are two "taps" that come off the single cast iron pipe... there is some sort of a divertor or something which must force the heated water through each unit. Is this correct? What are those divertor things? Upstairs, from the same boiler, is "regular" hot water baseboard which is a big loop as well, both have the same style circulator pump connected to them.

Does anyone know a source for the metal cabinet that the fins sit in? If you look at the pics, the top lip is rusted away (this is in the bathroom), so the outer cover does not sit properly on it. The fins appear to be OK, as does the cover.

Speaking of the cover--any suggestions to clean them up? I was thinking I might take them to a shop to be sandblasted and then professionally repainted, I have about 12-14 total.

Also, I'm planning to remove the one in my kitchen because we're taking down the wall that it is in... is there anything special that I need to do after removing it? Since it's a loop, it seems like I should be able to just unscrew the cast iron connections in the basement, then get the proper fittings to create a temporary loop (or is that even needed since it's all one pipe w/ those divertors?) I know I'll need to shut down the boiler, then relieve the pressure before any work, once everything is done is there anything special I need to do to bleed the system afterward? I'm planning to replace it with an under cabinet toe kick heater which will connect to the system, but in the meantime a new tile floor is being laid so the convector and pipes need to be removed. I have a heating/plumber contractor I can call if this is not DIY, I'd just rather not wait as he often has a two week lead.

thanks in advance

bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

"Convector" questions

This is a DIY site. So it doesn't matter if your going to DIY.

The diverters are called mono flow tee's, or diverter tees.

Yes, you must connect the branch back together when you remove a convector.
Toe kick will need different diverter tees then the convector did.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
bubbler (01-01-2011)
Old 01-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #3

"Convector" questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
The diverters are called mono flow tee's, or diverter tees.

Yes, you must connect the branch back together when you remove a convector.
Toe kick will need different diverter tees then the convector did.
Thanks beenthere, I didn't realize what they were called, judging by the hits on google plenty of others are doing similar things to what I want.

Why do you say that I'd need different mono flow tees for the convector vs. the toe kick? Is it because the resistance of the convector vs. toe kick?

For temporarily taking the current convector out of the loop--I believe I'd be looking at 2 "90"s plus a short pipe between... so in effect I'd leave the two existing mono tee's in place and create a short loop between them--If I do this, do I need to "bleed" the entire system? There's a valve on the boiler which I think may be the bleed valve--it was wet/dripping after my last service, when I asked the service person about it he was stumbling a bit, I asked if it was a bleed valve and he said yes... I have a picture of it below, it's circled in yellow.

So I was thinking--
1) Shut off boiler
2) Wait for the temp to drop?
3) Bleed out pressure using this valve?
4) Insert my new bypass loop where the old convector was
5) Restart it all, use the same valve to bleed the air now introduced?

Or maybe I'm completely wrong, which is typical
Old 01-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

"Convector" questions

Looks like that may be a purge valve. Can't tell for sure from that pic. A different angle would help.

Toe kicks have a higher pressure drop then a convector does. So the diverter needs to be selected for the water flow the toe kick will need. And the pressure drop across the toe kick.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #5

"Convector" questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Looks like that may be a purge valve. Can't tell for sure from that pic. A different angle would help.
Is this helpful?

Last edited by bubbler; 01-03-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:18 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

"Convector" questions

Its a purge valve set up. But its not a good one. The air has to go through the boiler to get to the valve. Not a major no no. But tends to leave dissolved air in the boiler that will work it way free when the boiler heats the water again. However. Its better then no purge valve set up.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #7

"Convector" questions

Above--the two 1/2" cast iron lines to the existing convector are removed, installed copper connectors, two ball valves, and a valve for bleeding

Above--the existing "T" and "mono T"

Above--off to the left you can see the new valves... new copper lines are run over to the new location where I want a convector..... we're going a toe-kick convector under the kitchen sink

I'd like to take credit, but I called in a plumber who is doing other work at the house to do it

He did bleed the air out of the other convectors on that loop...... actually that's a little point of aggravation since he apparently had a little incident where more then a little water escaped onto my hardwood and he didn't do the best job on clean up (or drying) ... but I'm having them refinished shortly anyway, so no major harm