Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Share |

convector heater troubles

i have a 2 pipe heat system- i drained my system yesterday to do some valve replacement. when i turned the system back on i went thru to bleed all the units. 2 in the same room wouldnt heat- i cracked the bleeder and water came out but no air, the supply pipe was barely warm and the return was cold. i tapped on the one unit and it eventually got warm but not hot. the other unit was a no go with any warmth. i noticed there was a screw in the return line and then realized it is a flow valve of sorts- i turned the screw to try to increase flow but instead created a leak from the screw head.
i think debri is blocking flow at this valve. to remove it i will have to cut it out since there isnt a union, and i will need to use a union to connect it back up. will this heater work ok without a flow valve? it will be uncontrolled......
i will re drain the system and try to take the nut off by the screw to see if the valve is serviceable prior to removal..... any thoughts?
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Can't really say. We don't know if it was actually adjusted to reduce water flow or not. Best to put one back in.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 AM   #3

it appears that all the return lines on the heaters are piped this way. the supply lines are piped in with unions and the return lines are hard piped. if i remove it i will only have space for a union- not a union and a valve......

i guess i should drain the system and try to remove the nut before the screw to see iff this part is servicable or not prior to cutting it out......

i just worry that the unit will not heat properly with water flowing straight thru unrestricted.....
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
Thread killer

Do you have any pics? The straight through flow shouldn't be a problem if its set up properly as the hot water will displace the cold water as it slowly flows through it. Like beenthere said, that may have been what the adjustment screw was for. Pics of the system would help though, and we like pics anyway, even if it doesn't.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12 AM   #5

You may be able to clear debris, particularly if the rad is on the lower floor.

Pressurize system then try to flush by opening connection at return line below rad (basement). Should dislodge mud, if any, in bottom of rad.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote