Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |

"Contractor" vs "Consumer" Thermostats

Getting a whole new system installed, and am considering a programmable thermostat. For a programmable, my install guy recommended a Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 TH832OU1008. He said it would be $288. I found it online for MUCH cheaper. I asked him if I got it on my own if they would still install it with the new system, and he said they would. But...and here is the reason for my post...he said, "the thermostat's we get and the retail customers get have different features. Most of them are the same, but the contractor thermostat comes with added features, plus you know we have to mark it up."

OK, he stated the obvious that they are marking it up, but what are these additional features? This doesn't make sense to me...why would Honeywell make two versions of the same thing? Is this statement accurate?

7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #2

forget what the contractors says. He wants to make a profit. I got a Honeywell for my new A/C system for about $50.00 and I installed it myself. Hire another contractor.

Jobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #3

It is being marked up. But that being said honeywell tstat are a little different when bought through a contractor. Not much but a little. I have insatalled ones for homeowners who bought them at lowes and they are not the same as the ones I buy from the supply houses. I actuallly pay less at the supply house than they sell for at lowes.

Some things I have noticed different in contractor models, larger displays, batteries optional vs required (some non contractor versions) the configuration modes have more options. the main disadvantage is in warranty. Honeywell warranties the tstat for 5 years either way. The tstat you buy will need to be sent back to them and they will send you a new one. What will you do for a stat while you send it back to honeywell. If bought from a contractor we install a new one and take yours back to the supply house where they handle the warranty. you get a new tstat right away.
turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #4

Quote:
He wants to make a profit
Surely you jest ... a contractor who wants to make a PROFIT ... he should be flogged and hung by the neck at sundown

That tstat would cost me somewhere around $175 before tax. I'd drive to the parts house, pick it up, drive back to your place, install it, set it up PROPERLY for your system, show you how to use it, and warranty it. Try doing that online.

Last edited by scottmcd9999; 07-25-2012 at 05:31 PM. Reason: addl ranting.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scottmcd9999 For This Useful Post:
Houston204 (07-25-2012), hvactech126 (07-26-2012), stickboy1375 (07-25-2012)
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Honeywell RTH and TH designated thermostats are not made quite the same. He was telling you the truth, if you were looking at a RTH model.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnermech View Post
It is being marked up. But that being said honeywell tstat are a little different when bought through a contractor. Not much but a little. I have insatalled ones for homeowners who bought them at lowes and they are not the same as the ones I buy from the supply houses. I actuallly pay less at the supply house than they sell for at lowes.

Some things I have noticed different in contractor models, larger displays, batteries optional vs required (some non contractor versions) the configuration modes have more options. the main disadvantage is in warranty. Honeywell warranties the tstat for 5 years either way. The tstat you buy will need to be sent back to them and they will send you a new one. What will you do for a stat while you send it back to honeywell. If bought from a contractor we install a new one and take yours back to the supply house where they handle the warranty. you get a new tstat right away.
That is a good point. I suppose that I could keep my old tstat in the event that the new one needs to be serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcd9999 View Post
Surely you jest ... a contractor who wants to make a PROFIT ... he should be flogged and hung by the neck at sundown

That tstat would cost me somewhere around $175 before tax. I'd drive to the parts house, pick it up, drive back to your place, install it, set it up PROPERLY for your system, show you how to use it, and warranty it. Try doing that online.
I have no problem with the contractor making a profit. As I mentioned, I am getting an entire new system installed. If I wanted to cut the contractor out, I'd have ordered the system myself and had some "do-all" guy put it in. My guy was just going to put in a standard digital at no charge, but said this tstat was awesome (I especially like the indicator that tells you of an outdoor unit malfunction). When he said $288, I asked for the model # and he gladly gave it to me. I found it for $110 (maybe Ebay should be your supplier). I'm sure they get it for less than $110, and paying a markup of over 250% of what I can get it for would just make me a sucker. It's the exact same model he was going to put in. And they are going to install and set it up for me. So I guess I get to have my cake and eat it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Honeywell RTH and TH designated thermostats are not made quite the same. He was telling you the truth, if you were looking at a RTH model.
Yes, they are definitely different but the model # he gave me was TH8320U1008 and that's what I was able to find.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #7

My comment was directed at the "He wants to make a profit" nonsense posted earlier (not by you).

If you want to buy that stat on Ebay for $100, then go for it. Wear flame retardant gloves when handling, as that would most likely be one hot item .
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #8

Quote:
If you want to buy that stat on Ebay for $100, then go for it. Wear flame retardant gloves when handling, as that would most likely be one hot item .
Found it on Amazon for the same price, found comparable prices all over the net.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #9

As I said - go for it.

I'd prefer to have a product that I (as a contractor) can warranty. I can't return a product I buy online to my local wholesaler, since that wouldn't be fair to them (they made no profit on the sale, and it costs them time and money to process the warranty). As a consumer, you don't really have that worry - if the product fails, you can always just send it back to Honeywell and see if they'll warranty it (they may or may not - I don't really know), and stick something else on the wall in the meantime.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
I'm sure they get it for less than $110
I called two of my suppliers, and both were right around $175 for that exact thermostat so no, they don't payy less than $110. Internet pricing doesn't include sales tax, shipping, or overhead.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #11

"That is a good point. I suppose that I could keep my old tstat in the event that the new one needs to be serviced."

Yes but if you keep your old one can you find it in 4 years, will it still work, and unless you put it on yourself (which some home owners can do) you will pay to have it changed twice(once for putting your old one back on and again to install the new warranty replacement).

Ones on Ebay can be used and put back into boxes to look new after they did not fix the sellers problems, they can be sale items he bought cheap to turn a profit (not too much wrong there). Ones on amazon can be old stock which did not sell and they want to get rid of (nothing wrong here).

We as contractors have to purchase from a more reliable source. We sell it to you and warranty it will work. If it does not we have to come back for FREE. one FREE call back takes away any savings on our inital purchase. If you want the tstat from a cheaper source that is fine and there is nothing wrong with that decision. If we do that I think we do the customer wrong. Most customer dont want to be without heat or air at all and make purchases which limit the chances of that, and I sell them that.
turnermech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #12

From my email archive:

Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 Top of Line TH8321U1006 *NIB*

Sale price: $73.00
Quantity: 1
Shipping & Handling: US Postal Service Priority Mail: US $8.99 for first item, US $8.99 for each additional item.
Sale Date: Saturday, Jan 26, 2007

The one you're looking at uses an Li battery and lacks humidification control compared to mine. Those are the only differences I see looking at the specs at honeywell.com. In fact, mine lists for $399.96 while yours lists for $366.63. Those are not typos! Anyway, I bought mine for $73 plus $8.99 shipping, installed it myself, and it's the full-featured contractor model. I think the real difference buying this way may be in the warranty, but these are probably not high failure rate items, and mine's been working fine since 2007 when I bought it.
tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima2381 View Post
From my email archive:

Honeywell Vision Pro 8000 Top of Line TH8321U1006 *NIB*

Sale price: $73.00
Quantity: 1
Shipping & Handling: US Postal Service Priority Mail: US $8.99 for first item, US $8.99 for each additional item.
Sale Date: Saturday, Jan 26, 2007

The one you're looking at uses an Li battery and lacks humidification control compared to mine. Those are the only differences I see looking at the specs at honeywell.com. In fact, mine lists for $399.96 while yours lists for $366.63. Those are not typos! Anyway, I bought mine for $73 plus $8.99 shipping, installed it myself, and it's the full-featured contractor model. I think the real difference buying this way may be in the warranty, but these are probably not high failure rate items, and mine's been working fine since 2007 when I bought it.
Wish we could edit posts here... Anyway, to be clear, this was an eBay purchase, and the thermostat was New In Box exactly as described.
tima2381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
I called two of my suppliers, and both were right around $175 for that exact thermostat so no, they don't payy less than $110. Internet pricing doesn't include sales tax, shipping, or overhead.
175 for a TH8320? Your distributors are a lot higher then mine for it.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #15

I also found that model for $110.