Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #1

Share |

Contractor quotes

I'm in the process of obtaining quotes for a replacement of my central heating and ac. I've gotten quotes of $7000, $10100, and $10,300 as installation prices for the combination Trane XV 80 and XB 13.

I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but why the large difference between the first and other quotes? All seem to be reputable businesses...any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help!

CP

coolptnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #2

Contractor quotes

Overhead, customer service, standing behind install, cutting corners on install. There are many things that go into the install, you usually get what you pay for.

Ebierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #3

Contractor quotes

I'd say 2 companies actually know what it takes to run a profitable business and the low priced guy blames his tax accountant every year because he didn't make any money to grow.

IF! all 3 quotes are exactly the same as far as to what they're going to do, down to the finest little detail including warranties etc. then go with the low bid. Then hold him to the quote verbatim.
old_squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #4

Contractor quotes

There usually isn't much discussion here about quotes but I gotta say... not knowing what size house you have, where you live, and whether they are re- doing all your ducts I'll just assume you have a typical house and are getting a replacement in kind. If so 2 of those bids seem awfully steep unless there is maybe some precious metal involved. But that's just me thinking....
Old 07-27-2013, 05:57 AM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Contractor quotes

Not that this is a place to discuss pricing (it is a DIY Forum)..... but I tend to think that corners are going to be cut by the low bidder. Are all the warranties the same? Trane is charging us (the contractor) an arm and a leg for extended warranties now. That extra cost gets sent right to you the consumer.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #6

Contractor quotes

Thanks for all of the responses. When I look at the quotes that I've gotten from other contractors selling Carrier, Rheem, and American Standard install for equivalent equipment, they come within plus or minus $500 of the last two quotes. And I'm not talking about major ductwork...just taking away the old and putting in the new in a townhome. Leads me to believe there's a lowball with a surprise later...

HVactech 126, raylo32, Old Squid, and Ebierley, thanks again for weighing in...I appreciate your input. You've helped me by giving me some things to be aware of!!

CP

coolptnr is offline   Reply With Quote