Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Consumer Dehumidifier for 1000 sq ft encapsulated crawlspace?

I'm working on getting my crawlspace encapsulated with a "Basement Systems" system. The contractor I have looks on the level but he is charging 1400 for a commercial "santa fe" dehumidifier. The dehumidifier claims it can do up to 2500sq ft. My crawl space is 1000 sq ft with about 2-3 feet tall. I figured, should I try a 200-300 dehumidifier first and see if it keeps it under control? Worst thing that happens is I sell it on craigslist if it doesn't work and looks $100 or so. I can also just buy this sante fe on my own and install it later. Thoughts?

chazman113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #2

Like this one...
http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/fri...midifiers.html

Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,424

where do you live and how humid is the basement and your average outdoor humidity.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,944

The Santa fe when used with its optional duct work can make your crawlspace a positive pressure area, and help to prevent moisture from coming in, or going to your occupied areas.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #5

I live in Lower Delaware. Summer this year has been brutal and humid as with much of the mid-east coast. Right now my crawlspace is vented and earthen and the humidity gets up to 90%, pfew! With the cleanspace system in, most outside air won't be getting into the house so I assume it will be much easier to dehumidify, similar to any enclosed space in a house. I'm checking today but I think my parents have an unused dehumidifier in their basement. I figure I can try that out when installation is complete, if it doesn't keep it below 60% in the summer, I'll simply buy the santa fe model the cleanspace contractor was trying to sell me for $300 less online.

My next question is the sump pump. They charge around $1000 for a sump pump system installation (the "Smart Pump" system). A contractor and friend down here told me he thinks I shouldn't even bother with the sump as the downspouts are directed away well, the ground is fairly sandy where my house is, and the crawlspace is only about 2-3 block lengths below regular ground. I'm debating whether to just get it anyway so I can have peace of mind about it and also prevent the whole thing from flooding if there is a leak.