DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   HVAC (
-   -   Connecting final ridgid ductwork (

bee-man 03-16-2013 11:42 AM

Connecting final ridgid ductwork
2 Attachment(s)
Hi all,
I was originally planning to use a semi-ridgid aluminum duct between my kitchen exhaust elbow and microwave transition, but I am trying to maintain a fully ridgid design (possibly 2 elbows and a short straight). The problem I would have is installing the final piece since there is roughly 1-2 inches of extra length to account for the male/female overlap. I may have backed myself into a corner on this one, but can anyone think of a technique or solution that would allow me to connect the two male ends (shown in picture) using ridgid pieces?

yuri 03-16-2013 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
there are a couple of methods.
1) not sure where you can buy them but a sheet metal shop may have them or check HDepot etc. you can buy a "slip collar" piece of pipe which closes together with 2 gear clamps or thin bolts. you open it and wrap it around the joint of the 2 pieces of pipe like wrapping a sheet of paper around the joint. then it has 2 gear clamps or a metal edge with 2 1/8" bolts to join the pieces together/ kinda like buying a plumbing MJ clamp and slitting the rubber folding it over and using the gear clamps to finish it ( obviously you need a 7" in that scenario ).

2) tin basher trick is to take a piece of 7" or 8" pipe and wrap it around the 6" after cutting off the press together joint, and if it was me I would pop rivet it over top of the 6" and seal the joint with metal foil tape. you can use screws but they may rust and aluminum pop rivets won't.

jagans 03-16-2013 02:11 PM

The bottom is a female, not a male, so whats the problem? Just use two els which are adjustable by twisting segments, and cut the straight portion to length prior to locking it. You sure lost use of that cabinet, couldn't you put rectangular ductwork in the wall with rear exhaust ????

bee-man 03-23-2013 12:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the response. Here is what I have so far with my semi-rigid connection secured with 6" stainless steel clamps... didn't turn out as bad as I thought.

Jagans, I only assumed the transition was male because I was not able to fit my semi-ridgid (or even a ridgid) inside. But what is this "els" you speaketh of? I like the concept, but my searches turned up empty, probably because I do not know the technical name or nomenclature. I butchered this cabinet because the washroom is on the other side and recirculate was not an option. I do think there is still usable space for my cereals and even a little more after I put a shelf on the right side :)

sktn77a 03-23-2013 03:11 PM

That looks pretty good to me. It might not be optimal for a dryer vent but for a kitchen vent should be fine. One curved semi flexible section is probably as good (or better) that a rigid pipe with hard bends.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:47 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1