Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:56 PM   #1

Share |

Condensor Good, Blower Bad ... ?

Hi,

I'm a novice (at best) when it comes to home repair, and especially with regard to HVAC. But money is tight right now (being unemployed sucks!) and my dad is pretty handy, so he's sort of the muscle and I'm the middle man who does the research for these types of things.

Anyway....

The blower in my furnace appears to be on vacation, but I'm trying to figure out what the specific problem is before I go replacing random parts.

For a while, the blower would come on but only when I put the thermostat to the "ON" position. My dad took a look and suspected that the blower motor might need lubrication, since turning the blower manually required more effort than he thought it should.

So I took the entire blower assembly out and dropped some lube into the oil pors, reassembled and re-attached (which was NOT easy to do by myself!). Things seemed to be OK, as the air conditioning would come on as expected when I had the thermostat on "AUTO" and set the temperature really low.

But in the past several days, I've noticed that when I put the tstat on "COOL" and "AUTO" and set the temp low, I hear the tstat click and the A/C condensor comes on a couple minutes later, but the blower never starts.

So my first question is, What do I do next?

* Sorry for the rambling first post
jengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

When that happens, IMMEDIATELY switch the fan to ON and see if it runs. If it does then it may be the fan relay on your circuit board and the board is faulty. The relay may be sticking off. Post the make, model and serial # of the furnace and a pic of it.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
When that happens, IMMEDIATELY switch the fan to ON and see if it runs. If it does then it may be the fan relay on your circuit board and the board is faulty. The relay may be sticking off. Post the make, model and serial # of the furnace and a pic of it.
If I give the blower a "jumpstart" (i.e., remove the cover, hold down the switch and give the fan a manual push), it starts up and seems to be OK for the rest of the day ... at least that's what happened yesterday.

Anyway, here are the vitals:
SnyderGeneral - Comfortmaker
Manufacture Date: 5/90
Model #: GU8060A014AIM
Serial #: R901900032

Attached pictures of the blower, ignition module and limit switch (not sure what is most useful/helpful).
Attached Thumbnails
Condensor Good, Blower Bad ... ?-blower.jpg   Condensor Good, Blower Bad ... ?-ignition.jpg   Condensor Good, Blower Bad ... ?-limit.jpg  

Last edited by jengel; 05-07-2010 at 04:03 PM.
jengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Sounds like you need a new capacitor which is a cheap easy fix. Inside that box or on the side of the fan is a silver capacitor with 2 usually brown wires that run to the motor. Usually has a rating of 5 or 7.5 mfd 370 vac or possibly a 10. Available at Graingers. Don't touch the terminals with your fingies or it will zap you. Wear some gloves. Some motors don't have capacitors and if that is the case yours is seizing up and you need a new motor as one winding could be weak and failing also. I would start budgeting for a new furnace replacement. Yours is 20 yrs old and they have a bad track record for heat exchangers cracking and that old white ignition module is on its last legs,

Last edited by yuri; 05-07-2010 at 05:36 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote