Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Condensing Fan on Compressor Off

10 year old RUUD four ton central unit. Two weeks ago it sounded strange, chugging sound and noticed the condensing fan was on but no cold air from registers. Called Tech and he said to shut her off an he would be out. Thirty minutes later Tech arrived, turned unit on and all was well, checked out fine. Yesterday I again noticed that the house was getting warm and tepid air from registers, lodded at outside unit and condensing fan was on but compressor off. Shu8t her down for 15 minutes, then restrted her and compressor kicked on and all is well. I also noticed when the unit wsws not working right (yesterday) that we had had a instantaneous power outage (stereo went off but no other in home indications). My question is, is there a reset circuit breaker or themal switch on the condensing unit that would drop the compressor with a slight power glitch and that my unti is not engaging after a power glitch?

vabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0

Condensing Fan on Compressor Off

Power spikes or "brown outs" will cause all sorts of problems. Sounds like the compressor is going off on thermal overload. And unless you are subject to a great deal of power problems I would begin looking for compressor problems and find out why it is overheating.

FClef is offline   Reply With Quote