Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Condenser unit waranty

Hi,

When something goes wrong within the compressor/condenser unit, and the unit still under manufacturer warranty, who pays for the labor and gas (to refill it)? Does the unit manufacturer gives the contractor something for his labor to install/repair the unit that still under warranty?

Would you say that a unit under 18 months that loses all its gas due to poor fitting welding should be repaired at the expense of the installer, not the homeowner? How about if two units installed side by side, and at the same time, suffer from gas leaks cause by poor workmanship? Would you say we had a crappy installation and the HVAC should repair it at his cost, even if they are out of the one year labor/installation warranty?

I asked because my position is if lousy welding left a pinhole leak that takes 12 - 18 months to deplete the system, then the problem happened within the first 12 months and was caused by poor workmanship - not normal wear and tear; the fact that it was discovered after 12 months has no bearing.

frank otero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
30 year tech

Rewards Points: 250

Condenser unit waranty

Was the leak from the installation or was it a manufactures leak?

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 PM   #3
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Condenser unit waranty

If there was /is a leak it would have shown up durning a pressure test of the system. If they didn't test & the refrigerant leaked out of a bad weld. They should cover the charges. I would
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #4

Condenser unit waranty

It should have been pressure tested. Manufacture will not cover installation problems only parts. Labor is usually always covered by the consumer unless you took out an extend warranty. Maybe you have a bad lineset which is not always replace when getting a new condense and coil.

Last edited by jadams08; 02-06-2011 at 11:02 PM.
jadams08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Condenser unit waranty

Refrigerant is not a part so it's not covered under any warranty. Labor is provided by the installer for x time, usually one year. The company I work for would eat the repair in your case but outside of the first year they are not required to do any work for free.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:01 AM   #6

Condenser unit waranty

Thanks for your responses,

I know refrigerant is not covered under warranty. But if it was lost due to poor workmanship, then why should I pay for it?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 PM   #7
30 year tech

Condenser unit waranty

Who said it was poor workmanship? Where exactly was the leak?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM   #8

Condenser unit waranty

A standard box warranty does not include labor or refrigerant. The manufacturer is only responsible for parts replacement per the warranty. The contractor is not responsible unless you have a contract stating such.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
HVAC Supermodel

Rewards Points: 150

Condenser unit waranty

A pressure test should be done and all accessible welds should be sprayed with soapy water. The bubbles will show where the leak is. If it leaks from a weld in the line its on the installer, if it leaks elsewhere like inside the outdoor unit or inside the coil then its a manufacturers deal (unless its a loose TXV connection) and you are going to have to pay for refrigerant unless you can get in touch with a manufacturer rep and convince them to pay for it. Odds are if you have gone this long then all of the sudden the charge is gone its probably something within the equipment, it happens from time to time. Thats why anyone reading this should always get extended parts and labor warranties.
unicursalhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #10

Condenser unit waranty

unicursalhex,

The tech could not find the leak. The system was recharged and nothing else. if it happens again, according to the tech, they will cover it. Not happy with this, as it leaks out again efficiency will suffer. I smell rat
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
30 year tech

Condenser unit waranty

They should have found the leak and then it could be determined if it was there fault or the manufacturer. There are ways to find leaks which the company may or may not want to charge for. If they didnt find the leak then you will surely have further problems. What will they cover then?

You shouldn't throw the installing company under the bus. This could very possibly be a manufactures problem and could be harder if not impossible to get repaired under warranty. The installing company should not have to eat repairs the manufacturer will not.

I would pay another company out to find and repair the leak and not put undue stress on the unit if first company can't find a leak.
Old 02-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #12
HVAC Supermodel

Rewards Points: 150

Condenser unit waranty

I can see why you feel uneasy. Refrigerant doesn't simply disappear... I bet there is a pinhole leak somewhere. I'm guessing you have a heat pump because you are having it repaired during winter. If it has a TXV installed it could be leaking very slowly through the connections that get tightened with a crescent wrench, happens all the time. Did the tech actually spray fittings or just fill up the system with nitrogen and watch his gauges for a few minutes? I always get the spray bottle out in these instances, its amazing how low tech and effective this method is.
unicursalhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:19 AM   #13
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Condenser unit waranty

if it takes 18 months for it to leak down it it must be a pretty small leak.
i have very little faith in those leak sniffers guys like to carry around,tell em to pump it full of nitrogen and listen .
if they dont hear anything get some bubbles out and check shrader valves.
plummen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #14

Condenser unit waranty

Thanks for your responses fellows. Although I was overseas, I was informed that the system was filled with nitrogen and it held for over an hour, then the same was done with a deep vacum.

Now, my other unit is low on gas. They could not find the leak - with sensor, no bubble test. Dye has been added and a black-light test is forthcoming. However, now the compressor runs for 10 minutes and begins to cycle on and off every 10 -20 seconds while the AH keeps on blowing (temp is set just three degrees above room temp). I shut the unit down and I am waiting for the tech. I have the suspicion it may be overcharged now.

I may have two Trane's full of lemons
Old 02-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
retired elect/hvac/plumb

Location: south east of omaha/The island of misfit contractors
Rewards Points: 2,010

Condenser unit waranty

make sure they remove the gauges and check the shrader valves for leaks,they cant check them with gauges installed.
its a real simple thing to check but most guys dont seem to grasp it.

plummen is offline   Reply With Quote