Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #1

Share |

Condenser Pipe Close to freezing, is this an issue?

I just had an HVAC tech replace a bad capacitor (boy it feels GREAT to pay $374 to replace a $20 part!!!). He said the pressures were fine, but I was watching as he connected the tools to the valves and loud hissing noise (refrigerant escaping?). This is probably common though, just like when you attach a pump to a tire, right?

Today I noticed that the Fat copper tube with the insulation around it is ice cold and slippery, as if it were on the verge of freezing up. I will be checking the evaporator (if I can get to it) to see if its icing up there as well.

So. Normal or not normal?

The AC is a 3.5 ton Goodman 12 SEER unit cooling a 1450 sqft house with vaulted ceilings. About 17-20 degree Temp Difference Register to Return. Also I am running a 5in deep pleated filter.

knotquiteawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #2

Its probably nothing. I poked my head up in the attic and the evaporator drip pan is bone dry. I can't see the evaporator coils themselves without removing panels but I would assume if where freezing up in there that there would also be water.
I just didn't remember so much nearly frozen condensation on the condenser coil side of things.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #3

the insulated line is the suction return to the condenser carrying the heat from the house one guage hook up isnt going to effect the charge but if you have had 2 per year couting the years the charge can be blown into a short situation.a lead tech can do temp readings on air and pipes without hooking guages....might be short if your producing ice from the air handler out to the condensr in the cool nights.NOTE when a unit is short to were the outsude temps drop to cool...the ice always starts at the evap(air handler) then travels out to the condnser
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

How clean is your air filter.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #5

The filter is just over a month old. Also its a 5in pleated filter, where before there used to only be a std 1in filter. I needed a higher quality filter to filter out allergens but the 1in filters were too restrictive at that level. So I swapped it out to a 5in pleated filter. It actually lets so much more air through that there was a noticeable increase in air volume out of the registers.

There are no cool nights around here this time of year in north Texas.

I guess if I'm still getting 17-20 degrees temp change register to return then I'm probably ok.

I guess my main worry was spurred by the guy hooking up hoses and the hiss of gas.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

The hiss is common. Happens when putting them on and taking them off.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote