Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Condenser fan motor/compressor

I replaced my condenser fan motor with what I thought was a good one. Now, all it will do is buzz when I turn on the AC, like it's trying to turn on. None of the other postings on condenser units mention this buzz sound, so I'm afraid the compressor could be burned up.... By the time I realized the A/C was not cooling, and then that the fan in the condenser unit wasn't running, the condenser unit was very hot and there was a slight burn smell in the fan motor--and that's why I switched out the fan motor with one that a contractor said was good and exactly like the one in my unit (but it has been sitting around for a few years). I have also pushed that high pressure switch, or reset button and get the same buzz sound with a few sparks. I'm guessing the capacitor is fine since it seems to be getting power, but maybe that connector board, the one that the black wire connects to is the problem. Thanks for any suggestions!

kristeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristeng View Post
I replaced my condenser fan motor with what I thought was a good one. Now, all it will do is buzz when I turn on the AC, like it's trying to turn on. None of the other postings on condenser units mention this buzz sound, so I'm afraid the compressor could be burned up.... By the time I realized the A/C was not cooling, and then that the fan in the condenser unit wasn't running, the condenser unit was very hot and there was a slight burn smell in the fan motor--and that's why I switched out the fan motor with one that a contractor said was good and exactly like the one in my unit (but it has been sitting around for a few years). I have also pushed that high pressure switch, or reset button and get the same buzz sound with a few sparks. I'm guessing the capacitor is fine since it seems to be getting power, but maybe that connector board, the one that the black wire connects to is the problem. Thanks for any suggestions!
Please be careful first of all. I personally would call a contractor, it sounds like you dont have the fan connected right and have fried it. You mess around enough and you will probably overheat and fry the compressor and then will have to replace the whole unit. Its ok to save money but you can't spend it if you're dead. That unit has a capacitor that is lethal, be careful, good luck Victor

sparky2474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM   #3

thanks for the message...I think you were right and I was lucky....but I did turn off the disconnect and installed a new capacitor before I got your message (or wouldn't have had the nerve). It seems to be working great. I did let it sit or a few to let that capacitor quit going--I guess that's what happened. But some of you guys just need to give the information and cut the fear stuff that you think keeps you in business. If you can't share your information, you may just be taking up space. Thanks again for at least replying though! I figure I must have saved a good few hundred changing my own fan motor and capacitor. If the repair guy had gotten here sooner, he could have done it for me. We're in a heat wave and he is busy....
kristeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

If your condenser fan was stuffed then you would not fry your comp due to A H.P fault...DUH.
fridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote