Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #1

Share |

Condenser Fan with low air volume

My sister has a Trane XE 1000 at a duplex. The other apt has the same model Trane. My sisters AC runs on aabout 55 mins with a 10 minute off cycle. The volume of air coming out of the unit is much less than her neighbors even though the motors and blades appear the same in size and pitch. The lack of air is not pulling the hear out as it should. Any ideas is greatly welcomed.

broj10903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #2

How old is the condenser ? May need a new capacitor or a fan motor. measure the amp draw can give you some idea. Hand touch the small copper pipe, is it hot ? or warm ? or...

clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #3

1. Check fan rotation to make sure it is same as neighbors.
2. Make sure fan blades and coil(s) are clean/unobstructed.
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #4

If you do find it needs cleaning, you must clean Trane equipment with chemical cleaners made for the job. They have the "spiney fin" coils, and a clear water flush won't do much good. You can sometimes do an _okay_ job with the cleaners you'll find at the big box stores, but to do the job well you should purchase cleaner from a local HVAC supply house. Those are designed to react with the copper and aluminum and remove all the organics from the coil, and to foam out as much of the embedded gunk as possible.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #5

Condenser is original as is the fan and motor. Copper line is very hot, probably enough to cause a burn if grip is held to long. Some air is coming out of unit but more air being thrown out at angle than straight up like a column. Could not blow a beach ball to high. Coils were cleaned, will have to get ammeter on fan cables to check amp draw with motor. I would think normally that the motor would open and finally just not work, but there is definitely rotation and in correct direction.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #6

Have you checked the supply and return air in the duplex? Is it the quantity or temperature of the air in being blown outside that concerns you? Is the unit identical to what the other side is using? Any chance the condensor fan motor has been changed at some point? Is the unit not cooling properly? Is this something new or always been like this. Clean coils both indoor and out, clean filter, adequate air flow around the condensor all contribute to unit performance.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:18 AM   #7

I got word from Trane that the model I have had issues with the incorrect cooling fins on the coil and that they were replacing at no cost for the initial 5 years after install. I will converse with Trane as we were never notified of an engineering defect. Appreciate all the help from fellow bloggers.