Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2010, 05:58 AM   #1
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110
Share |

Condenser Fan Cycling Switch Replacement

I have a Manitowoc ice machine that I need to replace the fan cycling switch. It's a Model BDO152A

The switch is soldered in. My questions are:

1) With the LLS closed, will the system pump down and allow me to remove the old and solder in the new one or will I still have pressure on the system? Of course, if the LLS doesn't leak. Any chance of contaminating the system?

2) If I do need to evacuate the system to replace this, can I just buy a klixon with the same temperature range and do it that way?
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
I have a Manitowoc ice machine that I need to replace the fan cycling switch. It's a Model BDO152A

The switch is soldered in. My questions are:

1) With the LLS closed, will the system pump down and allow me to remove the old and solder in the new one or will I still have pressure on the system? Of course, if the LLS doesn't leak. Any chance of contaminating the system? I could not find the model number that you posted, but even if the LL solenoid valve is after the fan cycle control there will still be pressure on the system. If you check the low pressure control it is set to cut out at around 12 psi. And yes you will contaminate the system.

2) If I do need to evacuate the system to replace this, can I just buy a klixon with the same temperature range and do it that way?
Yes you can go with a generic fan control as long as the ratings are the same,amps,voltage,pressures....

Like stated above I couldn't find the exact model, to do it the correct way, you need to evacuate the system. You could install an access stub with a schraeder core, that way if you need to change it again you will not have to pull the charge.

Make sure that you also change the LL Drier at the time of the repair, if it is POE oil a 500 micron vac or lower is critical. Make sure that you Weigh in the charge.

There is one other way that you could do it with-out pulling the charge. (not recommended) You could install a swivel tee to the high side access port(if you have one) and install your fan cycle control to it.

Manitowoc Service Manual B-Model
newtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 09:29 AM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to wirenut1110

Thanks very much for your reply.
wirenut1110 is offline   Reply With Quote