Condenser Failed, Inside Blower Still Run, Please Help - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Condenser failed, inside blower still run, please help

Hi, everyone, I have a Amana split AC, about 13 years old. Yesterday, the outside condenser failed to start. Inside blower OK, but blow warm air only. Called a tech this morning, he checked condenser (about 15 minutes) my thermostat (about 5 minutes), upstair blower (about 10 minutes). then he said the 24V does not get to the condenser, I have a bad control board and needs to be replaced. But I just replace that control board last year because the blower failed. so it is that board again ? I do not know much about control board, can some one tell me is it possible the control board caused this 24V problem. Thanks.

Advertisement

clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 256

Yes it is possible.

Advertisement

IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:33 AM   #3

Thanks for the respond. but I thought the 24V was sent out by the thermostat and contol board is not even in the picture. Am I all wrong ?
The Following User Says Thank You to clocert For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:32 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,496

Get a meter and heck it yourself. The control board seldom sends the 24 volt to the outdoor unit. Its usually done by the thermostat.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,542

yep check it your self....set for cool.. at condenser check for 24 volt on low voltage wire... also reset breaker in panel box....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:05 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 109

It is also possible that the T-stat wires running to the contactor at the condenser are bad...use a volt meter to check for 24v at the contactor... If not present follow the wires back to the board or to the T-stat where the begin and check for 24v there... If present there but not at contactor t-stat wires may be broken somewhere.
a.man1302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #7

I checked the following: and found 24V at the T-stat Y wire, also at the control board Y terminal. but not at the contactor. I also checked that wire before it goes into the condenser, not there either. So the problem must be somewhere between the control board and the condenser. The issue here is that small wire is inside of the wall, not sure how to fix it.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 266

Thermostat wire is cheap, run a piece out the window if you have to and see if that's the problem and then you will know what you are up against. Easy enough to check that way.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #9

Thanks, I can easily run a wire and do that test. but that does not solve all my problem. My control board is way up in the attic, I can not figure out how to run that new wire from attic to my condenser permanently. Here I have another idea, not sure if it is going to work. How about run the wire from thermostat directly to the condenser (bypass control board). My thermostat is only 12 feet away from the condenser along the same wall. I can drill a hole easily and run the wire out. Do you think this is going to work ?
Old 05-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 780

Don't try that, you may cook your thermostat. You need to locate the spot on the board that your AC is connected to and verify 24V there. If it is there and not at the outdoor unit replace the wire. This is not optional. A bad wire can damage your board if it has not already.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #11

Why do you say ' cook my thermostat ' ? All I am going to do is hook up that 24V from thermostat to the contactor, will not connect to anything else. I still don't understand why the Y wire has to go to control board first and then go to contactor. Am I missing something here ?
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,646

My Techie charges me extra if I follow him around with a stop watch. If I leave the property during his visit I get a senior discount.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 266

You can hook Y from Your stat directly through to your contactor, bypassing the board will loose your fan delay if there is one. You will also need C on your other wire out to contactor. If the contactor is shorted to ground you could damage your stat in this case, but it would happen either way, so not a big risk, and what you are describing doesn't sound like a short. Control fuse should still be in place in R connection so you should have protection there too. All depends what burns first in that case.
HVACDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:52 PM   #14

Thanks HVACDave, I used a test wire from control board to condenser, that works. So next I'll try a wire from my thermostat to condenser, I did see a 'C' wire in my thermostat. I guess I can use both Y & C wires. if that works, I am done. I do not think I have any fan delay (because my fan never delay), and thermostat is cheap anyway, if it get burned, I'll just buy a new one. Thanks again. you really helped.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #15

Report back. New wire put in, everything OK, Thanks a million.....

Advertisement