Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

Condenser dryer or filter location??

I am looking to reconnect this old system finally. I cannot remember if the dryer is built into the condenser or if that should be an inline disposable item on the return line?

Also, do these have a filter built into them? I was wanting to add an sight glass and thought they had a filter in them. Just cannot remember. Been a while since I even messed with one.

viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #2

Wow...no offense but maybe you should get a pro. Those questions tell me you know just enough about hvac to get yourself killed. Not trying to be impolite but you are not dealing with plastic tubes with water in them.

Brazing a system up requires a strong regard for safety. Before I even let a helper touch a torch and braze rod I have him read all the safety protocols including how to set pressures and safe lighting procedures.

If you are dead set on doing this yourself than google the subject. Read as much as you can. Look at You Tube videos.

I don't think any pro here can answer your question in good conscience considering your lack of experience and an knowledge.

At least I can't.

good luck.

Old 09-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #3

Already done. Installed liquid line filter/dryer, charged, we are set. Sorry if I come off ignorant. My list of qualifications is a mile long, just have not done this in about 10 yrs and never an HVAC guy. Just a mechanical engineer. I realize you cannot tell ignorant from idiot on the Enet.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

Than your cool....
Old 09-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #5

man it's gettin' rough in here these days.
NitroNate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

Sorry ...family stuff ..little grumpy.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
man it's gettin' rough in here these days.

Guess you just don't know him well He's really sweet. Old farts get grumpy at times
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #8

There are several things in the HVAC ind that just frustrate me. For one, my block diagram does not really define the terminations for the thermostat or compressor. They just give you a color and I guess you are supposed to play matchup with the colors. No where at all does it say something like "24VDC call for heat", etc. I guess I am used to looking at CNC controls where things are much more defined. I just do not like crossing my fingers and where I come from, ALL wires are one color (pick your color) and color matching is sure to get you in trouble but I guess, uh, 5000 wires vs 3-5.....

My next complaint would have to be register boots or ducting in general. Who comes up with this stuff??? Nothing is even designed to seal.... Guess you are supposed to put tape on EVERYTHING.... The boots are left with a pressure seal against the drywall, you can see daylight in seems, etc. I realize someone will say "then you are doing it wrong but I don't think so. The back corners of the boots don't even seal.... Design issue.

Just leaves a lot to be desired...
Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
There are several things in the HVAC ind that just frustrate me. For one, my block diagram does not really define the terminations for the thermostat or compressor. They just give you a color and I guess you are supposed to play matchup with the colors. No where at all does it say something like "24VDC call for heat", etc. I guess I am used to looking at CNC controls where things are much more defined. I just do not like crossing my fingers and where I come from, ALL wires are one color (pick your color) and color matching is sure to get you in trouble but I guess, uh, 5000 wires vs 3-5.....

My next complaint would have to be register boots or ducting in general. Who comes up with this stuff??? Nothing is even designed to seal.... Guess you are supposed to put tape on EVERYTHING.... The boots are left with a pressure seal against the drywall, you can see daylight in seems, etc. I realize someone will say "then you are doing it wrong but I don't think so. The back corners of the boots don't even seal.... Design issue.

Just leaves a lot to be desired...
My son is an electrical engineer. He was my right hand til he graduated.

I don't know if school changed him or working at Bosch automotive changed his mind set. At the time he was working in hvac with me he never had a problem with a wiring diagram.

Now when he tackles a repair for a friend he cusses like a sailor because he does not understand the new technology. It's still a furnace with a few new bells and whistles. he could easily find the answer to the issue that is stumping him by reading the furnace manual but he would rather waste time and use a half baked approach to fixing it. He calls me for advice only as a last resort.

Viper the wiring diagram is really straight forward when you study it.
Styles and some terminology differ from mfg to mfg but they all work the same. They turn on, run, and then stop when the stat tells it to.

If you can post a picture of you diagram I can assure there are plenty of guys who would be willing to give you some input.

Good luck .
Old 09-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #10

deleted. wrong location

Last edited by viper; 09-14-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #11

OK, FYI scroll has no reed valves. You can say it is more of a rotary compressor.

The head sound low and the amps are a bit high.

Heatpumps i don't do but several guys here do.

Hang tight.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #12

That makes perfect sense that a scroll does not have reed valves. Rotary air compressors usually do not either because they have a constant positive pressure, not reciprocating like a piston pump.

This would also mean actually holding low pressure when the unit is turned off is out the window. System would have to be running to pull and hold vacuum.