Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #1

Share |

condensation water building up in the Chimney

Hello everyone,
I have a heating issue at one of my rental property. It's a Goodman HVAC unit used for cooling and heating. The problem is the heating part of the unit doesn't come on. So i set the STAT 3 degree higher than the room temperature, I here the Click sound which tells me the heating unit will come on. The "INDUCTION Motor tries to come but goes off. It makes clicking noise(basically trying to come on) I don't think the motor is broken. It does that for a long time and eventually comes on starting the igniter and gas valve opens to start the flame for heating. Sometime it just continue to do that and heat does't come on at all.

So I have unit under maintenance contract with my local utility company (PSE&G). The tech comes onsite and finds that there is condensation water that's being built up in the chimney that's attach to the unit. Chimney is a PVC pipe. Tech used wet/dry vacuum to pull out some water and unit worked fine. Now it's doing the same thing.

Tech suggested that, the PVC pipe which is vented out to the roof might have some kind of bend in the wall, making a turn somewhere before going vertically straight to the roof. So the water might get built up in that bend.

Is this possible where water being stuck in the chimney and Heating unit willl not work as it doesn't have way to push out the steam/vapor out of the house.

Really need help as we have no heat in the house.

jaindesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #2

check your condensate drain to make sure it isn't clogged.

Patrick Eubanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #3

I have a repair guy coming out to see the problem. I know i'll be out of $$$ but need to get this resolved.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:02 PM   #4

Do you think I may have to call a Chimney guy to clean it? Can a HVAC repair guy do this?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Sounds more like the furnace's drain lines are clogged, and are not allowing the water to drain out. This is a common problem. And one you can easily fix yourself, and save money.
ben's plumbing (11-26-2013), hvactech126 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #6

So the repair tech came by and he also diagnosed to be the chimney. Water is building up inside. Charged me $125 service charge. So he said to reroute the pipe to different location. Cost $1325. What I don't understand is why did it start happening now. Unit was install back in 2007 and this was never an issue.

So cost of rerouting the PVC chimney not that long will cost me over $1000. Material alone is no more than $100. I am trying to find a handyman that can do the job for lot less.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

I'd clean the drain lines, and the furnace condensate trap before rerouting the flue.

I know of a lot of green techs that can't figure out that a condensate drain is clogged and causing the problem.

PS: the combusted gasses re suppose to condense inside the flue pipe.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #8

I would need to call a specific person to clean the chimney. I do not have access to my roof with out a long ladder. How do i make sure the drain line are clean? The water is not over flowing. I do not see anything on the floor either. I asked the guy what should I do to do proper maintenance. He said change the filter and pour vinegar down the drain where condensation water goes out. This will make sure there are no clogs.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:13 AM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Remove the lines/hoses and wash them out in the sink, same with the trap.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #10

From what these technicians are telling you, it sounds like the vent is getting clogged so that the condensate never drains back to the trap on the furnace. You need to figure out why the vent is clogged. Either it is foreign material in the pipe or the utility tech is correct about a bend in the pipe. I am leaning towards the pipe bend as culprit. What the tech said is a little off though. What could be happening is that there is a section of pipe that runs horizontal somewhere. It was initially installed so that it slanted downward toward the furnace trap but it is possible the the pipe has shifted or sagged so that there is a low spot where water collects. That is why you can suck it out with a shop vac and it's fine for a while. Then it fills up again.
chiraldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #11

So i have another guy come and Paid him $400. He said Flue doesn't need to be rerouted. Everything is working. He just blew some air in the hose attach to ta switch and the motor to make sure there was nothing stuck in there. Everything is working fine now. The other guy cut the Flue PVC pipe so i ended up getting a rubber coupler and got the furnace working again. This was a simple fix and I am out $600 total.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Sorry. I told you to clean out the lines, and that your flue pipe was not the problem.

Tags
central air, heat, heating, hvac