Condensation Ring On Pella Window - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Condensation ring on Pella window

I have a new house with all Pella windows including (2) 6x6 picture windows. On both of these windows (but more ofter on the one pictured) I get a circle of condensation in the middle of the window about 2-3 feet in diameter every day. It is on the inside and not between the panes . It is very strange because it comes in the exact middle of the window and is a circle or sometimes an oval. It does not matter if the shade is left down or up and it occurs independent of the heat being on or off. Any ideas on what may because this? I understand condensation and what causes it but the fact that is a circle in the middle of the window has me stumped. If it's very cold out (5-10 deg) the condensation actually freezes into ice on the inside. Is it possible the window is defective in some way causing it to be cooler in the middle? see attached pic
Attached Thumbnails
Condensation ring on Pella window-dscn5010.jpg  

Advertisement

captjackny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 912

Usually it is a result of air circulation patterns over the window. I live in a -30 and below climate and see that myself. Looks like you have some strange air circulation flow over that area. Is there a floor/heat register nearby with a deflector over it. Try use a small old style blade fan to blow air gently by there and see if it goes away. Do you have ceiling supply air vents?

Advertisement

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

heat vents are on the floor. the ring usually occures at night when the heat is off although I can make it occur anytime by using the jiffy steamer which puts a lot of moisture in the air...the ring will always appear.
captjackny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Get out of the house call the cdc your windows are made from alien glass.

No just kidding. the center of the window will usually be the first area to reach dew point it will be the coolest part of the mass.

Turn down your humidifier till it stops.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Moisture condenses on the coldest spot. We all have natural convection currents of air over the windows from top to bottom/hot air rises and cold air settles. The coldest spot is usually at the bottom of the window as little air naturally flows by convection over there. Has something to do with that. The windows are vacuum sealed between the panes and mine are low E argon. How high is the RH humidity level in your house. I try keep mine at no more than 30% or mine sweat a lot. Under 30% and I get dry skin and static shocks. A continuous running fan may also help but it uses energy and can be drafty. Let the kids draw a smiley face there for fun.

Last edited by yuri; 01-17-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjackny View Post
I have a new house with all Pella windows including (2) 6x6 picture windows. On both of these windows (but more ofter on the one pictured) I get a circle of condensation in the middle of the window about 2-3 feet in diameter every day. It is on the inside and not between the panes . It is very strange because it comes in the exact middle of the window and is a circle or sometimes an oval. It does not matter if the shade is left down or up and it occurs independent of the heat being on or off. Any ideas on what may because this? I understand condensation and what causes it but the fact that is a circle in the middle of the window has me stumped. If it's very cold out (5-10 deg) the condensation actually freezes into ice on the inside. Is it possible the window is defective in some way causing it to be cooler in the middle? see attached pic
Everyones, quotes are correct- Pella Windows are junk windows- Pella windows uses the same glass thickness on both sheets outside and inside the window- the window will distort- it has bowing effect allowing the glass to come closer to each other-which can cause condensation in a circle on large window panes - did you not know about the class action law suite against Pella for windows rotting with in 10 years before you bought them- and that you can clearly see wood exposed on most product lines- - and rolled aluminum windows are junk- you should have bought Marvin extruded aluminum for a few dollars more almost 2X the window- also- the glass on Pella windows are not heat strenghtened- which helped reduce sound fro mthe outside and you made through the stress cracks during shipment- aluminum sill which is not thermally broken which allows the transfer from hot/cold to the inside of window walls- exposed wood grain on the ends of the sashes which could soak up water- mositure can also build up behind the aluminum which causes premature rott- Spacer in between glass is aluminum-which transfers heat/cold to the inside glass pane- corners are exposed wood - hopefully wood preservative does not break down- southern pine rotts faster than most other woods- pop can thin aluminum on the outside on the sash doesn't offer much protection and can be poped off easy - Pella Service stinks in my area- I went Andersen WIndows on my house in my sub divsion and neighbors went Pella - they are kicking them selves now- by going pella- also Pella does back glaze or caulk the aluminum on the outsdie sash to the glass allowing water to run behind the aluminum on the outside into guess what -the soft southern pine wood- also keep wipeing down the glass on the side- so that water doesn't get behind the wood sash and the glass- I would have recommended Andersen for this reason- Andersen Sashes are wrapped in extruded vinyl around the entire sash. Steel operating hardware can rust- Andersen uses stainless steel - keep a close on eye on those windows for rott- good luck -
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjackny View Post
Now that I looked closer are these vinyl Therma Star windows- they are junk too just in case- paper thin exterior glazing stops- non-sloped sills- porduct weep holes allows water build up then ice could crack the sills- weep holes also invite bugs to nest- thin vinyl frames then most on the market today- and yeah double side tape adhesive breaks down- you bought these at Lowes -if these are vinyl therma star windows you got hood winkled - junk- are they double strength glass? argon filled? if the argon is leaking out the glass could collapse - I hope these are not therma star windows- junk
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

thermo pane glass is not a vacum seal. Emily how do you know so much about windows? if you dont mind me asking?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #9

me thinks Emily sells Anderson
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

i think this thread is moving away from hvac and more towards home improvement
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,780

Your RH is too high.

Lower it by a couple %, problem eliminated.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:22 AM   #12
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Heat View Post
me thinks Emily sells Anderson
agreed, although you'd think they'd want someone who could spell properly and use correct grammar to represent their company...... maybe just a real big fan of andersen windows?

DM
Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

That circle of condensation in the middle of the window is................

EXACTLY where the big ROUND yellow Pella bullseye logo decal would have been when new.

Maybe its some gum leftover when the decal was pulled off. Accelerating the collection of moisture on the window.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:34 AM   #14
the Musigician

good call sammy, if there's leftover goop, use lighter fluid or goo-gone type product to thoroughly clean the surface and see if.......

DM
Old 01-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #15
Hvac Pro

Put the sticker back on. LOL

Advertisement