Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2007, 04:13 PM   #1

Share |

Condensation blowing off A coil into plenum

This is not a uninsulated duct that condensates question. The A-coil has been cleaned (both sides) on downdraft a/c unit. I can view the underside of the coil. Condensation makes its way down the coil until a few inches above the drain pan and then falls into the plenum ultimately ending up in the basement-about three gallons over 24 hours. The condensation hits roughly the same spot on both sides of the coil before falling into the plenum. I have slowed the fan speed from medium to slow. The drip pan is fine-no clogs. The unit is five years old and has been problematic since installation. I change the filter regularly. No one seems to have an answer. Please help. I am tired of fixing the drywall ceiling (though I am getting quite good at it).
Chris

kona1406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #2

Something is causing a "eddy" in the air stream. A 1/2 baffle on each side of the plenum may cure the problem, or it could increase it...........You may need a taller, or a shorter coil..........the bottom line is its all about air flow across the coil.

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #3

Thanks, harleyrider. We had a new coil installed. We went from a tall A-coil to a multiple fin coil. Today was a humid day and guess what?, more condensation in the plenum-albeit, not nearly the volume as before. You mentioned a baffle? How do I do this?
Old 05-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #4

Can you post a picture of your furnace set up please ?
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #5

Here are pictures of the coil form the basement looking into the ceiling. The other is the drain with no P-trap. Others have suggested that this is required.

Harleyrider mentioned the 'eddy' that could be occuring. That is a real possibility, too. From the bottom of the coil to the bottom of the supply (directly below the coil) is about 12". The water drops don't fall straight into the plenum, they are blown off and tend to be pushed around by the air.

This was the first time the hvac guys did this house with a basement. I suspect it was more error than trial since it has leaked off and on for six years.

Can you offer suggestions for baffling the supply? Local folks are stumped on why water is dripping off he coil.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Condensation blowing off A coil into plenum-hvac-001.jpg   Condensation blowing off A coil into plenum-hvac-002.jpg  
Old 05-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #6

Harley your on the right track. I willing to bet that theres a shallow elbow below the floor thats restricting air flow. Theres something somewhere resticting. It's the only thing that would cause this. Bob
Keep Em Cool! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #7

The supply trunk where the coil is blown into is about 6" wider than the opening for the coil. The elbow is a 90 degree squared off-not rounded. Any thoughts on the air blowing straight down causing turbulance? Would a rounded 90 degree bend help smooth the air flow delivering it to the supply lines?