Condensation Around A/c Vent - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Condensation around a/c vent

All of a sudden this year we have condensation that formed in the attic around a vent. It got so bad that it came thru the ceiling sheetrock and bubbled the ceiling spanning about 2-3 feet from the vent, and area around the a/c vent bubbling the sheetrock on one side only. We live in Florida. We have been in this house for 8 yrs, and never had this problem. Last year I noticed some condensation coming out of 2 vents a little, then it stopped. We went into the attic today where this 2-3ft area is to one side of the a/c vent was bubbling the sheetrock, and the blown insulation was damp. We noticed some of the metal duct work up there was a little exposed at the joint that bent down into the vent. We moved the blown insulation away from the ceiling at that damp area to allow it to dry out a little. Some of our duct work are wrapped metal ducts, and some are flex.
Is wrapping this duct up in the attic the fix?
Could it be something to do w/the a/c unit itself?
We did move some boxes away from the corner attic vent that vents outside for better air flow up there. Sorry if some of my wording isn't up to par. This is a female writing this.

Advertisement

Mazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Yup, wrap the metal duct work in insulation. Leave the old stuff on and wrap over it.

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I live in south Florida. The A/C ductwork runs through the attic although none is metal. It is flexible duct with distribution boxes (I'm not sure if that is the right term) constructed from a fiberglass-like material. However, I do know that uninsulated areas of the ductwork can create a lot of condensation. One morning after a late night thunderstorm I found a large water stain on the ceiling. I thought I had a roof leak even though it had recently been replaced after being damaged by Hurricane Wilma. When I went into the attic, I found the plastic vapor barrier on the flexible duct had disintegrated and the insulation had fallen away from the duct. There was still a pool of condensation that had not yet made its way to drywall. I replaced the duct and the problem was solved.
Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thank you so much for replying! I am going to wrap that duct today.
I was also told by someone that the metal ducts should all be replaced because metal rusts and eventually cracks open, and they don't use metal ducts anymore. Is that true?
Mazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazy View Post
I was also told by someone that the metal ducts should all be replaced because metal rusts and eventually cracks open, and they don't use metal ducts anymore. Is that true?
Take some pictures and post them if you can.

Metal duct you see a lot of in commercial work mainly nowdays. It's really not that metal duct is not used any longer in residential as metal round duct has its' benefits such as a much lower friction rate versus flex duct so in other words more of the original air can travel to the designated living space via velocity WITH LESS RESISTANCE, it's that flex duct is simple to install and replace as you don't have to insulate it, it comes pre-insulated whereas metal duct you have to insulate after it's built and put together, very time consuming. At least that's my reasoning for not seeing it.

Metal duct is readily available and always will be the preferred duct of any a/c system, residential or commercial, it'll just cost three times as much as it takes three times as long to install. And it has to be wrapped correctly the first time which is where most problems occur, me thinks.

Take some pics!!

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 08-03-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazy View Post
It's true. In 100 years that duct will be very rusty. In 200 years it might even fall apart. Until then don't worry about it. Metal duct is still king around here, mighty rare to see duct board.

Advertisement

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c , a/c vents , condensation , hvac