DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Condensate pump install question

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kboorman 
#1 · (Edited)
I wish to install a condensate pump on the ac unit in my basement. It currently has a drain going to a hole in the slab that supposedly lets the condensate disperse into the gravel underneath. Well, this clogged up yesterday and I figure there's got to be a better way.

My issue is what to do with the outlet of the pump? I don't want to go through to the outside with it because I have enough problems with water outside the foundation already and there's no sump pit to go to either. I'd like to run it into a drain pipe if I can.

A quick on the topic search yielded this post:
A (condensate) pump can be directly tied into sanitary sewer. The check valve in the pump that is holding the water from flowing back into the pump reservoir will do the job of making a seal. Just loop your line coming off the pump to ensure there is a water trap.
I think this will work for me, but how can I tap into the drain pipes in my basement? I have copper drain pipes coming down from the bathrooms and kitchen and they go into a large cast iron drain that runs along my back and side walls and then out to the sewer.

Would I be better off posting this question in the plumbing section?

Any advice would be appreciated. TIA, Kirk.

See less See more
#3 ·
I can solder, it's just a pretty big pipe (1 1/4" or so...) and I'm not sure if I could get it hot enough with a regular propane torch to get the job done. Not sure if there's an appropriate fitting in that size with a T or nipple that I can attach the condensate line to either. I'll have to do some more poking around for that.

#5 · (Edited)
Nope, not one drain in the basement.

I went out last night and got a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 3/4 tee, a 45, a reducer and a hose barb that I'm going to fit into the kitchen sink drain just below the floor joists. That's below the p trap but I'm hoping a loop in the drain line and the check valve in the pump will take care of any sewer gas issue. I got a mapp gas torch because I didn't think the propane torch would work, so I think I'll be good to go.

I'd appreciate any feedback on potential problems with this install so I can avoid headaches with it in the future.

As a side note, don't you love getting into a project and uncovering shoddy work that has to be repaired before you can do your job? When I removed the side panel from the unit last night, I found that there's no provision for securing the filter. There was a filter in there but it was just bent in half and stuffed into the enclosure near the fan. :confused1:

A while back, I was installing a gas pipe down there and got shocked when I touched the pipe and a duct at the same time. Turns out they ran the t-stat wiring through a hole they punched in the sheetmetal of the heater and never installed a grommet. The metal wore through the wire insulation and viola! 110 v coming from a duct! :furious:

Edit: The more I think about it, the t-stat doesn't get 110v. I'll have to do some more poking around to see if anything else is shorted. :icon_rolleyes:

#6 ·
Shocking!

Most thermostats use 24VAC. In general anything less than 48 VDC is considered "safe" in that it won't hurt you. But 24VAC has a peak voltage of about 34V DC component which is certainly enough to shock you.

Running thermostat wire through plenum is not unusual but the cable is supposed to be rated for that service (tougher insulation) and as you said, a grommet is never a bad idea.

#7 ·
I have recently discovered that my hookup to the sewer line has to go. The township says it's a no no because it's unmetered water going into the sewer system. So I'm back to square one as to how to discharge the condensate. I don't want to have it dribbling down an exterior wall - I want to get it away from the foundation. I don't want a hose laying across the ground in my yard either so I'm since not sure what to do. The only thing I could think of was to run it into a downspout on the corner of my house but I don't know if I want a constant puddle or wet patch where it discharges either.

Honestly I'm not even sure how I want to route the line out of the house - through the bit of block foundation exposed above grade or out through the wall and vinyl siding. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.