Condensate Pump Help Needed - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Condensate pump help needed

Hi,

I have a Carrier Weathermaker 9300 TS furnace with a Little Giant 115V condensate pump attached to the side that appears to not be working correctly. The problem started a week or so ago - normally, the reservoir attached to the pump fills up, it flips on, empties out, and turns off automatically, as needed. Now, the pump turns on, but it never turns off - if left like this, I'm sure that the pump would eventually burn itself out.

I'm looking for general ideas on what could be causing this problem - is it a pump issue or a furnace issue? I've already replaced one of the switches inside the pump but it had no affect. As it stands now, if I want heat, I have to manually turn the pump on, empty it out, and then turn it off. Can't afford to call a plumber, just recently laid off of my job.

Thanks in advance, any help would be very much appreciated.

Advertisement

mattsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsalad View Post
Hi,

I have a Carrier Weathermaker 9300 TS furnace with a Little Giant 115V condensate pump attached to the side that appears to not be working correctly. The problem started a week or so ago - normally, the reservoir attached to the pump fills up, it flips on, empties out, and turns off automatically, as needed. Now, the pump turns on, but it never turns off - if left like this, I'm sure that the pump would eventually burn itself out.

I'm looking for general ideas on what could be causing this problem - is it a pump issue or a furnace issue? I've already replaced one of the switches inside the pump but it had no affect. As it stands now, if I want heat, I have to manually turn the pump on, empty it out, and then turn it off. Can't afford to call a plumber, just recently laid off of my job.

Thanks in advance, any help would be very much appreciated.
float is sticking, condensate pumps cheap way under $75.00 if its that old replace it

Advertisement

carmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,104

the float is sticking, clean the reservoir and float or replace the pump assembly.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:57 PM   #4

There are two floats in the pump: one attached to the safety switch assembly, the other to the float arm. I've attached a link to the specific pump with the spare parts list as reference (ref# 6 & 14 in the parts diagram):

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/rp_...LITTLE%2BGIANT

Both floats appear to be working fine. When the reservoir is full, the switch attached to the float arm turns the pump off. The only way i can get the pump to drain is by forcing the float arm down to turn the pump on, which seems strange since it's floating at the top of the water and i would have expected this to turn it on. Once the water is drained from the reservoir, the pump continues to stay on until I manually pull this float back (I'm wedging a screwdriver in there for now just to keep the pump turned off).

It seems to me that the other switch, the "Safety Switch Assembly", would turn the pump ON after the water rises to the top, but lifting that float manually to turn it on does absolutely nothing.

I hope this makes sense...
Old 11-12-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

yes, get a new pump.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:53 AM   #6

If that's what I need to do, that's what I'll do. For my own knowledge, what do you think is wrong with it?
Old 11-12-2011, 04:58 AM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

the switches are sticking. that is the only thing that it can be. The pump is turned on and off by the float switch. The overflow float switch shuts the furnace and a/c off if the pump is not working so that the pump reservoir does not overflow. You very well may have bent one of the float arms and now it is not working properly because the arm is not contacting the switch button.

Advertisement

Last edited by hvactech126; 11-12-2011 at 05:02 AM.
hvactech126 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
carrier , condensate , heater , pump , weathermaker