Condensate Line Clogged? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 502

Condensate line clogged?

About two hours ago, I went into the garage to get something and I discovered that our first floor HVAC unit had leaked water all over the garage floor. Yep, you guessed it—clogged condensate line.

I just spent the last hour unclogging that line with a combination of a small brush, bleach, and hot water. I did the same with our second floor unit as well, so both the first and second floor units are good-to-go.

However, I still need to clear, for safety's sake, my Mitsubishi mini split condensate line, but I haven't a clue as to how that's done. Fortunately, the installers used a clear condensate line so I can see when it's draining, but it looks pretty dry, which is why I figured I better clean that one as well.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

kcrossley2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Condensate line clogged?

I've had the same experience - finding water on the floor from a clogged condensation line. When I had a service contract for my A/C, the service tech would connect a wet-and-dry vacuum to the end of the drain line to suck out the gunk.

When I had a new unit installed, a condensation pump was added because the drain pan under the evaporator was lower than the drain line. It has been at least 8 years and I've not had to clear the line even once. You might consider adding the pump just to get a little better flow through the drain line. The pump also has a switch to cut off the A/C if the line does back up.

David

Advertisement

Jessidog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jessidog For This Useful Post:
kcrossley2 (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Condensate line clogged?

if you pull rhe cover off the air handler that tube should be connected right under the evap with maybe a pinch clip or radiator clamp onto the bottom of the condensate pan nipple
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #4

Condensate line clogged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessidog View Post
I've had the same experience - finding water on the floor from a clogged condensation line. When I had a service contract for my A/C, the service tech would connect a wet-and-dry vacuum to the end of the drain line to suck out the gunk.

When I had a new unit installed, a condensation pump was added because the drain pan under the evaporator was lower than the drain line. It has been at least 8 years and I've not had to clear the line even once. You might consider adding the pump just to get a little better flow through the drain line. The pump also has a switch to cut off the A/C if the line does back up.

David
Thanks David. Surprisingly, I thought the clog had something to do with the fact that my condensate line runs about 100 yards to the back of my property because of erosion issues, but the clog was at the loop. For safety's sake, we're placing a small bucket under the overflow. Lesson learned. Virtually no damage, that I am aware of.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #5

Condensate line clogged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
if you pull rhe cover off the air handler that tube should be connected right under the evap with maybe a pinch clip or radiator clamp onto the bottom of the condensate pan nipple
So, I should remove it, after draining the pan of course, and run bleach and water through the line?
Old 07-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Condensate line clogged?

easy on the bleach a paper towel shaped like a pencil push it thru with a piece of solid wire....cotton ball just to un-slime it if you take a plastic spray bottle you can wet the coil down and cycle water thru the pan or a coffee cup tip it down the coil put the clear plastic tube in a bucket to see what was in the pan
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #7

Condensate line clogged?

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
easy on the bleach
Why? I think I poured a whole bottle down two lines last night.

Advertisement