Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 PM   #1

Share |

concord furnace wont run

Hi I have a concord 90 plus furnace that wont kick on. It gives me a code 3 which means pressure switch open with inducer on. I have 2 furnaces that are the same in the house and the 1 upstairs works fine but the downstairs unit doesnt. So i have used the inducer blower and the pressure switch along with the vacuum lines from the working 1 and still no luck. If i put the 2 purple wires together the furnace kicks on and runs but wen it shuts off it wont kick back on with the 2 wires together. I have cleaned the inducer blew all the lines out. I am figuring that there has to be a restriction somewere that i can not find. The inducer is not creating enuff pressure to the pressure switch or maybe to much. Thats were i am at so far any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Its starting to get cold Thanks

maxkilla96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

concord furnace wont run

Since you probably don't have a manometer then this is a simple check.

Remove the exhaust pipe off the inducer motor and try a call for heat to see if the furnace lites and runs.

If it does then you may have a restriction in the exhaust flue or a weak inducer motor

If it does not then you may have a pressure switch that has gone bad or a weak inducer motor

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #3

concord furnace wont run

i will try that but i used compressed air and blew threw that pipe and has good flow and i ahve used the pressure switch from my good running furnace and the inducer from the good running furnace and no luck. I even put the inducer and pressure switch i took off the non working furnace onto the 1 that runs and it still runs good. Any other ideas i have eliminated those possibilities so its gota be something infront of my face.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 PM   #4

concord furnace wont run

i will try that but i used compressed air and blew threw that pipe and has good flow and i ahve used the pressure switch from my good running furnace and the inducer from the good running furnace and no luck. I even put the inducer and pressure switch i took off the non working furnace onto the 1 that runs and it still runs good. Any other ideas i have eliminated those possibilities so its gota be something infront of my face. also the chamber were the flame is produced kinda puffs and the eye glass shakes when it tries to kick on
Old 10-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #5

concord furnace wont run

if you took the inducer and pressure switch out of the non working furnace and put it another and the inducer and pressure switch worked then it could be the inducer relay coil and contacts on the board for the non working furnace.
GetYourShineBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #6

concord furnace wont run

ya i did that and if i blow into the line from the inducer to the pressure switch and hold the pressure it kicks on and works but when the inducer is running i stick my finger by the hole were the vacuum line runs to the pressure switch i dont feel any air. Where exactly is the relay coil and the contacts you r talking about? Thanks i really really apreciate the help
Old 10-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #7

concord furnace wont run

on the ifc control board. do you have a multimeter?
Old 10-04-2009, 01:30 AM   #8

concord furnace wont run

ya i have a multimeter and i know how to use it!! lol ohms resistance all the good stuff. but i actually just switched the circuit board and the lil box above it. Still the same. Im thinking there is some problem behind the inducer in that boxed in area behind it. You can hear it puffing and the pressure switch clicks on and off.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #9
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

concord furnace wont run

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYourShineBox View Post
on the ifc control board. do you have a multimeter?

Why a DVOM?

You need a Manometer this is a pressure/vac problem. You need to measure the neg pressure off the inducer motor

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
An old Tradesmen

concord furnace wont run

Using an air compressor to check the flue pipes is misleading.
The inducer does not have the ability to push air the same way.

You may have a bad heat exchanger. Since you said it puffs when it does light.

Try getyourshinebox's suggestion.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:14 PM   #11

concord furnace wont run

does the heat exchanger have anything to do with the inducer not creating enuff pressure to kick the pressure switch closed. And a manometer i have never herd of 1 of those the only thing i have is a vacuum gauge. but ya the inducer seems to not be givin enuff air to the pressure switch and i have no idea y i can kinda feel a lil air coming out the hole of the inducer that the line hooks up too. This furnace is not even a year old
Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

concord furnace wont run

Yes.

One of the things the pressure switch protects you from. Is a problem with the heat exchanger.
Is this furnace ran on LP/Propane?
If so. Has it ever run out of fuel.

Manometer is a device that measures air/vapor pressure. For a furnace. You need to be able to measure in tenth of an inch. Positive, and negative pressure.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #13

concord furnace wont run

its a natural gas furnace so im assuming propane thats wat it smells like. But i dont know if the furnace has ever ran out i bought this house a few months ago and the furnaces were installed brand new. I dont know who installed or anything. Were is the heat exchanger is it easily replaced cuz i can try to take it off my rental unit furnace. No1 stays back there and thats the furnace that runs lol
Old 10-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

concord furnace wont run

Natural gas and propane are not the same thing.

You can't put a different heat exchanger in a furnace from a different brand. Or model size.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:12 PM   #15

concord furnace wont run

check the heat exchanger for a crack and determine if thats the problem or not and move on that. to do so disassemble the burner assembly and probably a panel thats covering the exchanger and put a light up in the heat exchanger with the lights in the room off and see if you see any light coming out of anywhere in the heat exchanger...

this is a heat exchanger...