Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
What's This?

Share |

Concord Furnace Leaking Behind Panel of Heat Exchanger

I have a Concord 90 High Efficiency Gas (Propane) Furnace, horizontal mount) that seems to be leaking water from behind the panel that encloses the heat exchanger. You can see the brown line inside the bottom of the cabinet enclosure where water comes out. There is also corrosion in the cabinet from this water. Does anyone know if this is normal or if the unit is defective?

I have two units that are doing this, but one is leaking a lot more water. The units are four years old. Model number Concord, CG90TB050D12B-1. Does anyone know the warranty with this unit?

I know, an overflow pan needs to be installed under the entire unit (we had a well meaning friend who is in the business do this installation) and that is causing water damage, but my question is if this is normal to come from inside the unit. The condensation line does not seem to be leaking nor is there any water dripping into the existing overflow pan. Just from the hole in the cabinet where there is a pipe penetration. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Concord Furnace Leaking Behind Panel of Heat Exchanger-004.jpg   Concord Furnace Leaking Behind Panel of Heat Exchanger-022.jpg   Concord Furnace Leaking Behind Panel of Heat Exchanger-009.jpg  

Last edited by bettyRubble; 03-02-2011 at 08:39 PM.
bettyRubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #2

Find the highest point where the white crusty shows up and that's you leak. Looks like it's above the multi colored wires, possibly that red cap on the condensate.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 AM   #3
What's This?

Thanks Marty! Went back and checked the red cap. It is clean and dry. Doesn't seem to be a problem there. The water seems to be coming from the rust colored seam where the panel to the heat exchanger meets the inside bottom of the cabinet and some up the side. Where this panel meets the cabinet, there is a felt/sponge type of gasket material between the metal panel and cabinet.

I am going to have an HVAC contractor come and look at it. I was just wondering if water seeping from this area, and the resulting corrosion, was normal or if it should just be running out the condensate line? Thanks Again.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #4

The only thing behind that panel is the heat exchanger. That unit looks too new to have a leaking heat exchanger but anything is possible.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
hillbilly guru

Send a message via Yahoo to hvacguytn615

if the furnace is in a noncondtion space( attic,under home ,garage)this could be condensation from cold air meeting warm metal and both units may not be doing the same thing take your drain lines off and see if you have water standing in the collector box behind draft motor
hvacguytn615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 02:49 AM   #6
What's This?

Thanks Maryt S. and hvacguytn615! I appreciate your quick replies.

The unit does sit in an unconditioned space and the comment about condensation forming when cold air meets warm metal has merit since that amount of condensation seems to increase quite a bit when the ambient temperature is colder.

The draft motor has a weep hole at the bottom of the casing (can see in first picture) so if water were in the collector box it would come out of that hole. But that point is still up a ways on the collector box. If there were water in the collector box, how would this cause the leaking?

I had an HVAC tech come and look at it and he believes it could be the gasket between the water colletor box and the secondary heat exchanger (and possilby the gasket between the primary and the secondary heat exchanger too) that need to be replaced. Everything in the picture would have to be removed to get to the heat exchangers and gaskets at a cost of $400 per unit (we have two units that both have the same symptoms). The warranty is 5 years, so I will have to see what can be done.

Has anyone seen this problem before? Comments? Thanks so much!