Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:53 PM   #1

Share |

Compressor stopped.

My central unit had gotten to where it would only blow slightly cool air to room temperature air at times. Called service guys out and the first time out they replaced the fan on top of the unit thinking it was not always running. Had some cool air for a few days so couldn't really try it out but when it got warm again it definitely is not cooling. The guys came out again and said the compressor is shot. They recommend replacing the entire unit and not just the compressor. The unit was there when I bought the house and I would guess it is around 12- 5 years old. Are they correct in saying I should replace the unit? Just want to make sure they are not trying to rip me off.

Thanks

TJ198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
AKA HVACTECHFW

Compressor stopped.

yes, and no Its not their decision, its yours. You need to know some facts..... 1. How old unit actually is... 2. How much repair will cost... 3. How much new unit will cost.... 4. It may be money down the drain with old unit most likely being r22.... 5. What caused compressor to fail....

Old 05-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #3

Compressor stopped.

A compressor replacement on a 15 year old system is silly. It could be well over half the cost of a brand new unit and A coil and you'll get a whopping one year warranty on the compressor only as opposed to a 10 year warranty on new equiptment. For the $ you're about to spend a second opinion is called for.

Last edited by Marty S.; 05-15-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

Compressor stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
yes, and no Its not their decision, its yours. You need to know some facts..... 1. How old unit actually is... 2. How much repair will cost... 3. How much new unit will cost.... 4. It may be money down the drain with old unit most likely being r22.... 5. What caused compressor to fail....
1. I would guess the unit is 15+. Is there a way to find out exactly?

2. They said $900 to replace the compressor. That is installation and everything.

3. 3.5 ton Goodman. $3500-3800 for everything.

5. Not sure. I did notice one time before they came out there was a noise and it sounded like the fan was not running. Could have been the fan not running or the compressor running without the fan. Sorry I don't know, and if they know they didn't say.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Compressor stopped.

I can tell the age by the make and serial number on some units. $900 is very cheap to replace the compressor in my opinion. If the unit is 12 - 15 I would consider replacement, get some more estimates.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Compressor stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ198 View Post
1. I would guess the unit is 15+. Is there a way to find out exactly?

2. They said $900 to replace the compressor. That is installation and everything.

3. 3.5 ton Goodman. $3500-3800 for everything.

5. Not sure. I did notice one time before they came out there was a noise and it sounded like the fan was not running. Could have been the fan not running or the compressor running without the fan. Sorry I don't know, and if they know they didn't say.

Thanks for the help.

Steep company. Is the new condenser made of solid gold? I'd call a few more companies as bids are free for the most part so ask ONLY for the price to install a new condenser.
If you are wanting a second opinion as to if your system is repairable than be prepared to spend the service call money.

The date of manufacture should be on the service tag on the condenser but at this point it is irrelevant. Just having a hunch of it being at least 12 years old along with one new fan and now possibly a new compressor needed says enough, IMO.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
HVAC Tech/Owner

Compressor stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Steep company. Is the new condenser made of solid gold? I'd call a few more companies as bids are free for the most part so ask ONLY for the price to install a new condenser.
If you are wanting a second opinion as to if your system is repairable than be prepared to spend the service call money.

The date of manufacture should be on the service tag on the condenser but at this point it is irrelevant. Just having a hunch of it being at least 12 years old along with one new fan and now possibly a new compressor needed says enough, IMO.
That's not steep. sounds cheap.
Technow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
An old Tradesmen

Compressor stopped.

Quote:

New condenser only? Then he will paying for efficiency he won't be getting. And some brands require the model and serial number of the inside unit in order to get warranty parts.

A 13 SEER condenser on a coil designed for 10 a SEER condener can drop to 8 SEER.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

Compressor stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
New condenser only? Then he will paying for efficiency he won't be getting. And some brands require the model and serial number of the inside unit in order to get warranty parts.

A 13 SEER condenser on a coil designed for 10 a SEER condener can drop to 8 SEER.

How do you come up with the 8 seer efficiency from an old 10 seer coil and a 13 seer condenser? I know you're right, I'm not disputing that at all, I'm just asking what is the equation or the facts so I know for next time.

Thanks.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Compressor stopped.

Quote:
How do you come up with the 8 seer efficiency from an old 10 seer coil and a 13 seer condenser? I know you're right, I'm not disputing that at all, I'm just asking what is the equation or the facts so I know for next time.

Thanks.
Thats from actual independent test that Bristol Compressor and Carrier did.
Some match ups did as low as 8 SEER(actually 8. something). By grossly over charging a TXV set up, they managed to hit 11 SEER. Wonder how long that compressor would last.

All of the set ups lost BTUs, so a 3 ton would barely be a 2.5 ton.

As I recall, the reports are posted on that other forum in the pro and resi sections.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #11

Compressor stopped.

Couldn't really make out all of the serial number but from what I could tell:

Armstrong unit model # PHP 10B42DA
Serial # 2A5499B19186

Compressor is a Copeland serial # 98JC5707H

Again, some of these numbers could be wrong, so if they don't make sense that is why.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
An old Tradesmen

Compressor stopped.

Its a 3.5 ton. Not sure of age from that serial number.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Compressor stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ198 View Post
Couldn't really make out all of the serial number but from what I could tell:

Armstrong unit model # PHP 10B42DA
Serial # 2A5499B19186

Compressor is a Copeland serial # 98JC5707H

Again, some of these numbers could be wrong, so if they don't make sense that is why.
Probably a 1999 made in Feb. so 12 yrs it may be. I would get a 2nd opinion from another company and DO NOT tell them the whole story. They may want to agree with the other guys and sell you a new unit. I would want them to explain why the compressor is shot. Won't run, blowing fuses, won't pump from bad valves or why? It may be damaged from the fan not running earlier.

Last edited by yuri; 05-16-2011 at 04:07 PM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #14

Compressor stopped.

I am working on getting another company to come out and give a second opinion. If it turns out they tell me the same thing as the other guys, is $3500 a fair price for a 3 1/2 ton Goodman installed?
Old 05-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Compressor stopped.

Cheap price.