Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Compressor Shuts Down When Temperatures are 95 or higher

Hi,

Our compressors shuts down late in the afternoon (North Texas area) and stops cooling the house for about 2-3 hours and then works fine the rest of the time.

We had our A/C guy here and told us that the compressor has a contact that is switching off the compressor when it gets too hot. He checked everything else and all is perfect. The unit is only 8 years old.

Our unit faces south. Nothing shades the unit.
We use 3 month filters which probably restricts some air.
Coils are clean.
Had caps replaced 2 months ago.
Replaced module for inside unit 2 months ago.

Overall the unit is clean and works great with exception when its extremely hot outside.

Now my A/C guy said the compressor is probably going out and that I should probably have it replaced.

My question is...should I have it replaced? Or is this common for compressor to shut off when it's very hot outside? Do you think that the new filter is restricting too much air flow even though I cannot tell if more or less air is flowing out of the vents? Will shading the outside unit help to keep the compressor from getting too hot?

Thanks.

newseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Willing to listen

Did he say anything about the refrigerant charge level, or provide any system pressure readings? Sounds like it could be low, as your compressor is cooled by the refrigerant. It has an internal protector which sounds like it is tripping and then resetting.

Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
HOTDAWG

Did he mention anything about the condenser fan, perhaps it's on its way out and not performing like it used to( just a thought) and the compressor is over heating... you should get him to check the amp draw on both.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #4

@Done That:
Quote:
Did he say anything about the refrigerant charge level, or provide any system pressure readings? Sounds like it could be low, as your compressor is cooled by the refrigerant. It has an internal protector which sounds like it is tripping and then resetting.
The refrigerant charge is maximum. The readings are good too but I cannot tell you what they are.

@Acomfort
Quote:
Did he mention anything about the condenser fan, perhaps it's on its way out and not performing like it used to( just a thought) and the compressor is over heating... you should get him to check the amp draw on both.
He said the amp readings are good for both. The fan seems to be working well. It's just the compressor quits for a few hours during the peak heat of the day.

I just want to know if it warrants to replace the compressor or could there be something else that not be commonly known or understood. Our A/C guy is very knowledgable and licensed as well as our neighbor. It's not that I don't trust him its just that we can sometimes miss stuff.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Willing to listen

Although 95 degrees is plenty warm out, no reason the unit should not function if all is correct, they are typically designed to operate at ~ 115 F or higher.

It sounds like you have a tech you like and are comfortable with, but a new compressor or outdoor unit is some big $ so in your shoes I would probably be looking to get a second opinion....and would request to see the system pressures and temp data measured.
Done That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

Thank you guys.

I got him to run his test again which he already planned to do anyway to make sure. He said the amps for the compression seems to be a bit over the spec which tells him it is working harder than it should and this test was done this morning with the temperatures being around the mid 70's.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 150

He should check the sub cooling and super heat. Outdoor coil may not be as clean as it looks.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote