Compressor Overheating - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2014, 10:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

compressor overheating

What would make a compressor overheat? Only low charge right? I have a water cooled 1 ton unit. Running in heat mode I noticed the discharge line was almost 200 degrees I recovered a little r 22 check super heat it was 20 degrees with no subcool. I checked super heat at the true suction sat minus line temp coming out of the outside coil. I check subcool at the liquid service port sat minus the line temp at the same service port = no subcooling at all, I even checked it on the other side of the llfd same thing. Sounds low. It ran for about 20 min then shut down on thermal overload. I did not check the discharge pressure but the temp was 200, and delta t was like 40 degrees. The water temp is 58, indb is 70, true suction was 68 psi, liquid was 160 psi.

Advertisement

wetbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 200

compressor overheating

sounds like either water reg. valve not feeding enough or a scaled up condenser. does the water from the cond. go down a drain or in a cooling tower. check temp of water as it goes down the drain. Might have to do a acid clean in the cond.

Advertisement

hvac instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

compressor overheating

Didn't think about that because, I didn't think I would have superheat with a scaled evap (since im in heat mode). The water runs not stop on this one, pump is wired to compressor, and I do have good flow. I will get temp out when the comp cools off. What low side and high side should I expect? With 58 degree water in and 70 degrees db inside.
wetbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,488

compressor overheating

May have a dirty air coil, air filter, and or blower wheel. With a 58F entering water temp, I would expect a 48 to 43F leaving water temp. A discharge line temp of 180F or so.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:45 AM   #5
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

compressor overheating

I'm no water heat expert but until and/or unless that compressor trips itself out on thermal overload it has not overheated. Remember, there is also a mechanical heat to consider and ALL heat and it's dissipation is a direct result of air flow's ability to transfer heat. coils clean?