Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Compressor line solder joints+corrosion

Hello. I noticed today during my yearly inspection of my AC unit, before I start it up for the summer, that my 3 year old compressor seems to have some rust build up along the suction and discharge lines. The rust is very minimal and is around the solder joint areas, coming out from the compressor. I don't know if it is just heat discoloration from where the tech soldered the joints, but there seems to be a little rust areas on the surface of the soldered areas.

Is this something I should be concerned about? I was thinking of taking some sand paper or steel wool and cleaning the joint lines, and then applying some type of anti-corrosive paint or other protectant. Is this neccessary? I am pretty anal and like to keep on top of things before they become an issue, so this is the reason for my question. I would think that the copper lines used on outside hvac systems would be designed to resist any type of corrosion, but I just want to be sure. TY for any replies.

Guam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:38 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 2,442

It is heat discoloration and I would leave it alone. Copper does not ever rust. You can paint the compressor part with Tremclad rust paint but it will flake off eventually and end up in the coil so I would leave it all alone.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

the suction line comes back at 50F sweats... and the discharge goes out at 200F the copper/joint reacts to that,and add some moisture and its typical point to see this even on larger commercial compressors.piece of steel wool in hand give it a couple of twists around the pipes joint and sray it with some Krylon primer and go enjoy.....the summer
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

So from the both your replies, I guess I could and should leave it alone as you say the rust color I see is just from heat discoloration? If I were to clean it and then paint the solder area with some type of primer or anti corrosive paint, would this be beneficial to the solder joint area or am I just wasting time and I should just leave it alone...
Guam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

100yrs that isn't going to leak it is stickly visuale to you...if you must do the insulated line with the unit off no swet or wet and do the compressor one with it running 200F it will bake the paint on...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote