DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Compressor Fan not Spinning

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  carmon 
#1 ·
Hello All,

My neighbor's compressor fan does not spin at all. At first I thought it might be the capacitor since mine went bad and I replaced it and the fan started spinning again just fine. I also replaced his outside fuses - I call them that because I don't know the technical name for them only that they look like bullets! That did nothing. When power is turned on I can hear the outside "fuse box" click like there is juice going through it but nothing happens. Could this be the fan motor or maybe something wrong with the lead wires?

Thanks,

Rob

#2 ·
does the compressor run when you repower it then there is not fan? if thereis no compressor either the contactor,power to it,the control voltage from the air handler..try this with the diconnect off out side and call the cooling in from the stat the contactor should be in/engaged.need to check the top for 208/230 out in that disconnect.if you have the power and the fuses are solid putting up the dsconnect the comp/fan should run.....

#3 ·
Not sure if the compressor is running. How can you tell. The entire unit seems to be silent. Except for the fact that I can here a thump or click in the disconnect box.

Not sure what all this means - "try this with the diconnect off out side and call the cooling in from the stat the contactor should be in/engaged.need to check the top for 208/230 out in that disconnect.if you have the power and the fuses are solid putting up the dsconnect the comp/fan should run..... " Please clarify.

Thanks,

Rob

#4 · (Edited)
What that means rob is turn the thermostat to cool then look if the contactor in the AC pulls in. If it does you use your multimeter to see if there's 240V present on each side of the contactor. If there's 240 on one side and not the other, with a call for cool at the thermostat, then the contactor is bad. If there's not 240v on either side of the contactor then the fuse/breaker blew again. If that's the case then you get to use the multimeter some more and find the short.

If you don't have a meter to check circuits and voltage then you shouldn't be messing with it until you get one and learn how to use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.