Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

compressor fan direction problem

2 or 3 years ago I had to replace the fan motor in my outside unit. I researched until I found one that was sure to work and replace the motor and cap. Did it myself with no problems. I made sure the fan was turning in the correct direction (looking down into the unit the wind should blow in your face correct)?

Well fast forward to this year and my system isn't cooling like it should. Yes I know I have a slight refrigerant leak that I have a have someone come out and put in 3 or 4 pounds every 4 years so I called and set up an appointment with a person that could do that. The leak in in the air handler condenser on a corner so I'm going to try a can of sealant this winter.

Anyway the guy gets there before I get home so I tell him on the phone to go ahead and start working on it. He says is was only 2lbs low but the compressor fan was blowing in the wrong direction. I thought it was weird because I knew I had done it the correct way when I installed it. Oh well I chalked it up to my mistake and he rewired it to spin the other way and sure enough air was blowing in my face so I thought everything was good.

Fast forward to 2 days later and the house isn't cooling again like it should. I check and the fan is again turning in the wrong direction. This is with no one touching it since the dude had it going the other way. I have to pull the switch to turn it off, stop the fan with a stick, push it the other way, plug it back in, then it turns in the correct direction.

What seems to be my problem? Do I just need to get a new fan or cap or do you think the guy had it wired wrong? Just looking for some input since sometimes it starts up one way and sometimes it starts up the other. I didn't see any wires that were loose and could be touching or grounding out but I haven't had time to take it apart yet.

todthebod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

compressor fan direction problem

Check or replace the capacitor. With a very weak or dead one the fan can turn in either direction

Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty S. For This Useful Post:
hvactech126 (06-27-2013), MTN REMODEL LLC (06-27-2013)