Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Compressor died, can it be replaced DIY?

So heres the complete run down of every problem i have experienced with my home A/C:

-A/C condenser clogs once each year with those little weed seeds that are white so I have always cleaned it out.

-4 months ago i noticed my A/C wasnt working well but wasnt freezing the lines. I called an hvac tech who gave me a charge for cheap. he said if it didnt last then i have a considerable leak

-3 weeks ago I was having the same problem except i figured the charge was alot less because the low side line was freezing up so I consulted my hvac tech, he said he moved so he couldnt help me but suggested a can of "Super Seal". I installed it as well as gave it a charge of R22 myself but my high side cheapo ebay gauge decided to spring a leak so I lost my entire charge because I was letting the system equalize while not looking at it (i know dumb move)

-Found another hvac tech who came by, vacuumed my system down since i lost all pressure, filled me back up and now my compressor wouldnt cut back on. He suggested a hard start capacitor. He brought me a supco model spp6 hard start capacitor and it worked. he said with the leak i should installed the super seal as well. only problem was i lost it when the system drained down followed by the vacuum.

-Yesterday, I got my can of super seal and put it in. It went in fine, compressor still ran through the day on and off a few cycles. I took a sigh of relief thinking everything was going to be fine at this point. Well about 4am i noticed it was warming up in the house, went outside expecting a frozen line or something but instead noticed the compressor wasnt runing. Tried a few restart cycles and nothing. I noticed one time that after i flipped the breaker off i could hear a buzzing coming from the area of the compressor. It only made the sound once but i am assuming my compressor is dead.

My house is an 11 year old house with a comfortmaker 2.5 ton unit. It has two model numbers ACS030A2C1 & FBA030GC1. I looked online and found replacement compressors for $843 (yikes!!!)

What should I do, can this be replaced by myself. I have had quite a few financial hardships lately to include a wrecked car, change in job the resulted in less pay, new baby, etc..... so the most cost effective method is what i need.

Thanks in advance.

Firecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecracker View Post
So heres the complete run down of every problem i have experienced with my home A/C:

-A/C condenser clogs once each year with those little weed seeds that are white so I have always cleaned it out.

-4 months ago i noticed my A/C wasnt working well but wasnt freezing the lines. I called an hvac tech who gave me a charge for cheap. he said if it didnt last then i have a considerable leak

-3 weeks ago I was having the same problem except i figured the charge was alot less because the low side line was freezing up so I consulted my hvac tech, he said he moved so he couldnt help me but suggested a can of "Super Seal". I installed it as well as gave it a charge of R22 myself but my high side cheapo ebay gauge decided to spring a leak so I lost my entire charge because I was letting the system equalize while not looking at it (i know dumb move)

-Found another hvac tech who came by, vacuumed my system down since i lost all pressure, filled me back up and now my compressor wouldnt cut back on. He suggested a hard start capacitor. He brought me a supco model spp6 hard start capacitor and it worked. he said with the leak i should installed the super seal as well. only problem was i lost it when the system drained down followed by the vacuum.

-Yesterday, I got my can of super seal and put it in. It went in fine, compressor still ran through the day on and off a few cycles. I took a sigh of relief thinking everything was going to be fine at this point. Well about 4am i noticed it was warming up in the house, went outside expecting a frozen line or something but instead noticed the compressor wasnt runing. Tried a few restart cycles and nothing. I noticed one time that after i flipped the breaker off i could hear a buzzing coming from the area of the compressor. It only made the sound once but i am assuming my compressor is dead.

My house is an 11 year old house with a comfortmaker 2.5 ton unit. It has two model numbers ACS030A2C1 & FBA030GC1. I looked online and found replacement compressors for $843 (yikes!!!)

What should I do, can this be replaced by myself. I have had quite a few financial hardships lately to include a wrecked car, change in job the resulted in less pay, new baby, etc..... so the most cost effective method is what i need.

Thanks in advance.
That buzzing noise , could it be from the contact er trying to engage. if you push the contact er in does the compressor start up.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #3

what is the "contact er". Is in the connector on the compressor where i would tested for for a hard short?

I cant really get to the compressor without removing the fan and its hardwired in so working at the compressor with the system on is pretty hard
Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firecracker View Post
what is the "contact er". Is in the connector on the compressor where i would tested for for a hard short?

I cant really get to the compressor without removing the fan and its hardwired in so working at the compressor with the system on is pretty hard
Its the 24v relay that engages the 220 circuit, it should be located where the disconnect tail feed comes into the unit, there should be a removable cover over it.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:59 AM   #5

be right back, will have pictures if i cant figure it out
Old 09-01-2008, 08:06 AM   #6

I found the contacter, this time it was indeed buzzing but when i tried to push it in it was already in and did not make a difference. When I turn the thermostat to off the contacter comes back up.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 AM   #7

burp some of the freon on the insulated line out at the compressor/condenser section if it is burning smell nose or off fingers the compressor is burnt
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #8

cant smell anything over the super seal
Old 09-01-2008, 02:52 PM   #9

could be locked up if that contactor is closed and the condenser fan is running the winding may be open or the internals are locked up...if the contactor is arched bad the compressor is shot.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:43 PM   #10

is the compressor replacement a DIY kind of job.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #11

not really with the brazing of pipes and vacuums and acid clean up,you need a servive company in.they will probably push you towards a new condensing unit if your unit has some years on it
Old 09-01-2008, 08:41 PM   #12

just wanted to say thanks for all the help biggles & buletbob