Compressor Dead?? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Compressor dead??

Hello all, in need of some much needed help. I have a 3 ton Aireflo unit that has been acting up.

I had the unit recharged recently due to an on going known leak in the coil in the attic. The tech recharged the unit and all was well for 2-3 weeks. However now, I have noticed that while it is running, the condenser fan outside will intermittently stop running for about 1 second then restart right away, and will continue to do so at random intervals. (However I do not hear the compressor kick on, I hear a slight hum for a sec, but then cannot hear due to the fan starting up) The air coming out of the condensing unit is cold unlike my upstairs unit next to it blowing hot air.

Could it be a bad start capacitor (which I replaced 1.5 years ago) or is my compressor dead? I also have been reading that overcharging a system can lead to compressor failure Any help is much appreciated!

Advertisement

KingPin461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Compressor dead??

Bellaire/Kirkwood in the house.

I'd replace the cap first and see what happens. Have you opened up the service panel and taken a look at the cap? It may show tell tale signs that it's bad.

Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Compressor dead??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Bellaire/Kirkwood in the house.
Alief area....I live about 10 mins away HWY 6/W. Airport

I did look at it when the tech recharged the system, I used it as a wiring reference when I replaced the fan motor and cap on the upstairs unit 3 weeks ago. Didn't see any bulges or fried wires, just really rusted from the neck down. I had to replace the same one about 1.5 years ago, it was making the fan motor spin backwards. Maybe they don't last that long...hopefully thats all it needs. Picked up a new dual cap for $13 this morning. Going to try it out when I get home.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Compressor dead??

I sometimes ride with Southwest Cycling Club from the Kroger's parking lot at HWY 6/ W. Airport on the weekends, out to Fulshear and back.

If that cap doesn't work let us know. You'll need a digital meter to test voltages and components, if you have one and the cap doesn't work.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 338

Compressor dead??

was the evap coil replaced or just fixed? i know when i went from orifice to txv i had to put a hard start cap on it cause the run cap wasn't enough.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
The one

Rewards Points: 10

Compressor dead??

Did u ever try to ohm out ur compressor that's how u can tell if ur compressor is bad
Jone32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:01 AM   #7

Compressor dead??

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
was the evap coil replaced or just fixed? i know when i went from orifice to txv i had to put a hard start cap on it cause the run cap wasn't enough.
No, coil has never been fixed. I'm having a really tough time finding someone reliable to fix it. This will be the 3rd summer that I have to recharge this system. Over the winter time, I lose about 1.5 lbs of freon...however this year, I was 4lbs low Everyone I've talked to wants to replace the entire system, I guess R22 coils are hard to find? If anyone knows of a reliable HVAC tech in the Southwest Houston area, please feel free to let me know.

Good news for my problem though, it turned out to be the cap. It melted part of the cap and one of the common wires completely off the clip. I replaced the wire and put in the new cap....everything is running perfectly!

I really appreciate all of the input and suggestions
Old 06-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
I'm Your Huckleberry

Compressor dead??

Get your post count up to 21.

R-22 is being phased out thus the cost is astronomical. We have to charge $50 per pound. I can't say how much your system takes sitting here but on the condenser(outside unit) there may be factory charge information on the data sticker.

Coils are readily available and they come 410-A/R-22 compatible. The only thing you'd need to change if let's say you got a new R-22 coil right now would be the txv (refrigerant metering device) to 410-A if and when you wanted to upgrade the entire system to 410-A at a later date.

But why pay twice for the same thing is it?. New 410-A coil with txv and anew 410-A condenser which would come pre-charged with refrigerant, a lineset flush and the same furnace/blower and you're good.

R-22 coil with new txv as well as new R-22 refrigerant (not reclaimed and re-using your old stuff which most likely is somewhat near contaminated as well as has air in it) installed: $2200.00-$2500.00 depending on size and how much refrigerant is required.

New 410-A coil with txv as well as new condenser: $3500.00-$3800.00

A new 410-A would be 14 seer, most likely Rheem or Ruud (if it were me). Your existing system is most likely 11 seer at best. What that equates to is how much money it takes to run your a/c system to cool your home. As soon as you put in a new R410-A system your electric bill would lower. Without a new furnace/blower is still would drop but with a newer higher efficiency furnace your heating bill (gas?) would drop as well.

5-10 year parts, one year labor warranty.
MaryAguila (05-26-2015)
Old 06-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #9

Compressor dead??

Doc,

My current system roughly takes 6.5lbs of R22, so this year it was more than half empty. I really like the idea of the 410-A / R22 compatible coil as we may not be living in the house for more than 2-3 more years. I would hate to make a large investment and not be able to benefit from it. Also, other than replacing the coil and txv, would all the other components remain the same? (compressor, condenser etc..?)

I believe you are right as far as seer rating, my current system is 11 or 12 seer if I remember correctly. Would a 14 seer unit cover the $1000 - $1500 difference over a 2-3 year period? I know the downstairs unit is on its last leg and will need replacing next summer perhaps. I really appreciate your help and suggestions, hopefully this system lasts me a bit longer.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

Compressor dead??

You talking about a complete new R410-A system? 3-5 years to get your money back, depending on how you use your system. That's the word n the street, anyways. You'll notice a difference on your first bill.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Compressor dead??

http://www.nou.gov.gd/Refrigerants%20410a%20407c.pdf

http://www.fire.nist.gov/bfrlpubs/bu...PDF/b02186.pdf

http://people.consolidated.net/window/AC/R410.htm
Old 05-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #12

Compressor dead??

Hi Doc, I am in need of a new evaporator coil, previously you had mentioned getting a 410a coil and new condenser. Do you know of a reliable installer in the Sugar Land (Hwy 6/W. Airport) area? My current system is an 11 seer 3 ton Aireflo and was installed in 2005 (roughly 10yrs old). I am read to upgrade and would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Advertisement

Tags
compressor dead , condenser fan , intermittent , start capacitor