Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

Compatible HVAC System Question

I have recently had two HVAC techs install a completely new HVAC system and a new Ecobee Si. One of the guys wired the outside HP and one wired the indoor AH. I know that they had several of the wires wrong because I have checked them ex:

the B terminal at the HP was attached to a blue wire and that blue wire was attached to another blue wire which ran to the AH but the blue wire was not connected to anything inside
or
the D terminal at the HP (purple) attached to a black wire that ran to the AH and the black wire was attached to an orange wire that ran to the O/B terminal.

I mentioned to one guy that he may need the instruction manual to the Ecobee since he has never installed one before. His reply was I can wire it with any wire, so its not a big deal I can do this in my sleep. It is a big deal if the other guy is using different wires!!! I can get the cool air to come on under the heat pump setting, but the heat only works if I have the furnace enabled and electric specified. I have been told by Ecobee that the AH and HP may not be compatible. There is no B or O terminal on the AH. The wiring diagrams in the manuals say that there is a B terminal on the AH, but the diagram that is on the AH itself does not have a B terminal. Is this correct? How should it be wired? I have no aux heat. currently it is wired as follows

Thermostat -> AH -> HP
W (O/B) - x - B
Y - x - Y
R - R - R
C - C - C
W2 - W1&W2 - D
G - G

Equipment
rhsl-hm4221ja - Air handler
13pjl42a01 - 1 stage heat pump

I can provide more information if needed.

Thanks,

Frank
fdeross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #2

You do not have furnace.

AH and HP are Rheem..... so BS what the "guy" from Ecobe said.

They can use any wires color to connect. Since this industry is a mess in reference to code. It's just not a good practice.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
AKA HVACTECHFW

you have no aux heat when? In Emergency heat mode? When the thermostat is set x degrees higher than the room temp?

It looks to be wired properly. I don't see a B terminal in your air handler wiring. Nor should the be one with a psc motor type air handler. http://www.natureaircorp.com/downloa...ng_diagram.pdf

Is the thermostat setup for a heat pump with electric aux heat?
Old 10-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #4

I have no heat period when the thermostat is configured for 1 stage heat pump. To get heat I have to configure the thermostat to electric furnace. There is no aux heater installed. It is aftermarket and they did not install one. There also is no emergency heat.

Last edited by fdeross; 10-17-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 AM   #5

I know you can use any wire "color" to connect but when one guy wires the b terminal and at the other end the other guy wires that to the d terminal there is a problem.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #6

Cool

Here's the thing. Why would both the AH & HP manual have a diagram showing that there should be a B terminal to go from thermostat to ah to hp then the ah model they install not have one? Also all the research I've done online has the ah with a B terminal for proper function of a hp system.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #7
AKA HVACTECHFW

The B terminal on your system is reversing valve function. The ahu does not need to see the RV signal on a psc motor ahu like you have. The ecobee must be setup for RV signal with heating. Pretty much All other manufacturers use RV signal with cooling.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #8

I have made sure the settings regarding the reverse valve are correct.

Tags
compatible, ecobee, hvac, rheem