Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Common Venting Questions

I just purchashed a Modine Hot-dawg garage heater. I cant vent it thru the garage roof or wall my only option is tieing it into the common vent to the house. I have talked to a couple hvac guys and they say it can be done. The common vent is capable of handling the extra btus. The way most of the hvac guys want to connect to the common vent is by taping off it with a wye in the attic and slopeing the connection down to the garage heater. My question is: Has anyone ever had this done or does this sound right? I want to make sure these guys are correct in what they say needs to be done. The average price I got was around $900 for the venting. That price included taping off the 5in common vent, connecting a wye and running 3in b-vent to the garage heater. Does this sound fair?
I just wanted to make sure if what he said was correct. I currently have around 20Ft of 5in b-vent for the common vent. The furnace and water heater are in the basement total 100,000btu's the modine garage heater is 45000btus. The contractor wrote that he would install a 12in peice of 3" b-vent hortizontal to a drip tee up approx 24in's to a 45* into the house, use another 45* straight up approx 5ft to a 45* into the wye attached to the 5" common vent. There will be approx 5ft of 5" b-vent above the wye that goes through the roof. Im not worried about the price I just want to make sure before I tell him to go ahead that I had all of your suggestions

Thanks Mike

Last edited by gmanmdg; 11-30-2007 at 04:30 PM.
gmanmdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 07:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to mrkool

Common Venting Questions

Go ahead, all 3 appliances should not be on at the same time, even if they are, shouldn't be for long. Even so, your close enough to the vent cap that
the will pull it.

mrkool is offline   Reply With Quote