Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #1

Share |

Common Questions

Hi all,

I am a lurker and this is my first post. I have done some reading and found what I think is close to my problem but I wanted to get more information before I start making decisions on what to do.

I have a Lennox 80UHG3-75A-3 heating system/furnace in my home. It was installed in 1999. I don't know when the last cleaning was done but I suspect the answer is never.

Now I have a problem. When it is time for the furnace to kick on to provide head the glow stick will glow read and the flame bars will kick on. Hang for a min. Then shut down before the fan has a chance to kick on. I have watch it do this a time or two.

Then recently in the middle of the night I can hear it clicking a few times before it finally gets going.

I have pulled the glow stick thing and cleaned it with some sand paper only to find out that I should have used a wire brush, it wasn't really dirty anyway.

So now before I make any more mistakes I would like to know what I should do to 1. clean the furnace to be sure that my problem isn't something dumb like that and 2. start trouble shooting any other issues. My guess is there is a sensor on there some where that can't tell that the flames are one but like I said I am not 100% sure.

Thanks very much for any and all contributions.

rmousir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Common Questions

Do not clean the HSI (glow stick).

If you have A/C turn the thermostat's fan switch to on. And see if the fan runs.

Could be the board has a bad relay for the heating speed.
Or that the motors heating speed winding is open.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:14 PM   #3

Common Questions

The fan does work. Works when I have just the fan on, when the a/c is on, and works when the heat finally gets going.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:16 PM   #4

Common Questions

The flame sensor is what you want to clean. It will be a steel rod on the opposite end of the burners then the hot surface ignitor. Usually it's in front of the left burner on Lennox.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #5

Common Questions

If your furnace has not been cleaned in 11 years why wouldn't you have someone out to service it? Maybe I am shocked since I have always lived in houses with oil fired boilers.
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 AM   #6

Common Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S. View Post
The flame sensor is what you want to clean. It will be a steel rod on the opposite end of the burners then the hot surface ignitor. Usually it's in front of the left burner on Lennox.

I will take a look and see if I can find that. I only looked in the front side of the furnace. I did clean the ignitor (it glows red) and it appears to operate correctly.

Quote:
If your furnace has not been cleaned in 11 years why wouldn't you have someone out to service it? Maybe I am shocked since I have always lived in houses with oil fired boilers
I have recently acquired the home. I know the a/c has been serviced twice (I have the documents) but I don't see anything that shows anything being done with the furnace. I am trying to be sure I am in good shape before the fall.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #7

Common Questions

Ok well it is good to hear that you are starting now as the heating season is ending to think about having your system in good shape for the fall -- time will fly fast as you work with your new to you home. Good luck on any projects you undertake.

meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote