DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Commercial, Dust Bunnies

923 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  old_squid 
#1 ·
I have a two story commercial building that is creating salt grain size (sometimes larger) black moist dust bunnies. I use dust bunnies, because not sure what else to call them.

I do not have a picture at this time.

The dust bunnies are only on the 2nd floor ... only in the northwest corner private offices and are coming out of the bar slat single direction supply registers that are placed in the ceiling next to the exterior walls.

The large 4 way supply registers in the large cubical offices have no problem.

At this time, I am just trying to come up with a hypotheses, so I can start somewhere with testing.

I was just wondering if any of you have already run into this before or have a hypotheses of your own with this limited amount of information.

#2 ·
If they're soft and "smush" to nothing I'd guess dirt from that section of duct work is getting wet off of an A/C coil or some other form of moisture and is getting flushed/blown out the vent.

If they're sort of "crunchy" and have more substance I'd guess the duct work has an insulated liner inside of it and you might have rodent problems.

Do they have a distinct smell? If you rub them across white paper, does it leave a distinct smudge?

The two things that popped into my head without being there.

Any access panels you can use to get a look inside the duct work?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.