Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2008, 01:10 PM   #1

Share |
Smile

commercial: ceiling air vents dripping (kinda long story)

The air vents in the ceiling are dripping all over the tables in my restaurant. Not good for the diners! Anyway, a new food place being built nearby said they were having the same problem already and his contractor fixed it by putting these "sheets" of "something" on the back side of the vents-problem sloved. He said you can get them at the local stores. I went to the local home improvement box stores and no one knows a thing about them. He said they were squares with a nothch cut from outside to center and a hole cut out of the middle to fit around the duct work. and one side was silvery. The contractors, he said, just slipped them around the duct work and VOILA! Does anyone on here know anything about these mysterious sheets? Thanks in advance for any information, it will be greatly appreciated!
cinnamongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 02:36 PM   #2

Not familiar with the sheets you're speaking of, but I imagine that you need to have your ducts in the attic space insulated. The drips are condensation from the ducts since they're full of cool air in a warm humid environment.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #3

make sure your adjustable pully within the unit is for the fan is max'd out for the amperage off the tag.he must of lined the inside of the registers with some felt contact material.it you go to HD they have a spray felt paint try it on one register and see what happens.you basiclly want to remove the register place it flat down and spray the metal 360 degrees around...your dripping because the cold air is discharging over a warm surface and being metal doesn't help the situation.if you can speed the air up with a pully adjustment it might solve the dripping..air is moving slow over the grills and chilling them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 AM   #4
oops, did I do that!

Do you mean ductboard?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #5

Thumbs up

Thanks for the great the tips. I think the spray thing sounds like the answer, I'm going to tell my "handyman" about that. The sooner the leaks are stopped the better!
(ps: I don't know if it's called duct board. The person telling me about it didn't know what it was called or exactly what it was.)
cinnamongirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #6

I had drips occur from the cold water pipes in my basement. I bought pipe insulation to resolve this prob.
I suspect that the cool, a/c air is cooling the register covers. When warm moist air is cooled by the cool cover, it gives up the moisture.
I would suggest that the metal register covers be replaced with plastic ones.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote