Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2008, 02:50 PM   #1

Share |

coming off the plenum to trunk lines

hey guys thanks for all the help in the site. i have done most of my calculations and i am getting ready to finish my duct layout. i just want to know what you guys thought about what i want to do. i want to place the new furnace where my old boiler is right now. i would have to come off one side of the plenum and make a long way 90 degree turn after three feet of the plnum and then a short 90 degree turn to go upstairs to the attic and feed my second floor. for my first floor i would need to tap into the other side of the plenum and go about 4 feet and after that i need to go left about 11 feet to feed two rooms on the left side and go right about 18 feet to feed two other rooms. i have done all the calculations and i have the cfm that each trunk like is gonna have and each room all that. i just wanted to know how much flow or speed im gonna loose by doing the 90 degree turns and by putting a tee on the other side. i just want to know what you guys thought of my design so far. i included a rough drawing
Attached Thumbnails
coming off the plenum to trunk lines-furnace.jpg  

qnzkrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
30 year tech

It is impossible for us to tell what loss you would have without doing a manual D duct design on the whole system. I thought you said you were going to do this? It will tell you what you need to know as far as sizing goes. As far as will the system work as you have designed it, yes. I see no problem with it if sized right.

hvac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #3

hey hvac i really dont want to get on your bad side as you have helped me tremendously. i dont want you to think that i havent been looking into this .i know the sizes of the duct that need to come off the plenum to provide proper airflow to each trunk line and each branh line. i jst wanted to know if there was something major wrong with the design i had.i know that the takeoff to go to the second floor has to be either 16*8 or 12*10 which will carry 750 cfm. and then i woukld need to make a long 90 degree turn and a short 90 degree turn all whithin 3 feet and go 22 feet high and branch off to 5 registers in the second floor. for the first floor on the other side of the plenum i would use a 18*6 or 12*8 or 101*10 to feed 600 cfm into 4 rooms in the first floor. once i come off the plenum i would go 4 feet and branch off 11 feet to the left and 18 feet to the right each one carrying 300 cfm to feed 4 rooms in the first floor. my question is when i come off the plenum with 600 cfm, i have to reduce the left and right trunk lines to feed only 300 cfm each right? so the main trunk which would be 600 cfm of the plenum will come out 4 feet and off that i would have to reduce the two trunk lines to 10*5 or 8*6 which would carry 300 cfm correct?i am sorry if i am making a mess out of you guys
Old 01-01-2008, 09:27 PM   #4

i just wanted to say thank you hvac122 and happy new years