Comfortmaker RPJ - Bad Transformer? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2008, 09:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Comfortmaker RPJ - Bad Transformer?

As per tradition around my house, the furnance has gone out during the winter break. 4 Years running! I think I have it troubleshot, but just want to make sure.

The furnance doesn't turn on. Last year it would try to turn on, but then fault out. This year nothing. It's dead. I can't even hear the hum of A/C voltage at the transformer.

I measure 120VAC at the on/off switch. I jumped out the lock out. I jumped the R and W (call for heat) at the thermostat. I measure 120VAC on the line side of the transformer. I measure absolutley nothing on the load side of the transformer. I believe it's A/C in and A/C out, but it's been a long time since I've done anything with transformers.

I have pulled the transformer. It's all coroded. The terminals seem to be ok.

It is BE2674500 1##
PRI 115V 55/60Hz
SEC 24V
HQ 1008788??????
Basler Electric Highland

So 120VAC in and 24VAC out.

Any other ideas than the transformer? Any idea where to pick up a transformer on Christmas morning?

Thanks to any who respond.

Advertisement

olgranddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:21 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by olgranddad View Post
As per tradition around my house, the furnance has gone out during the winter break. 4 Years running! I think I have it troubleshot, but just want to make sure.

The furnance doesn't turn on. Last year it would try to turn on, but then fault out. This year nothing. It's dead. I can't even hear the hum of A/C voltage at the transformer.

I measure 120VAC at the on/off switch. I jumped out the lock out. I jumped the R and W (call for heat) at the thermostat. I measure 120VAC on the line side of the transformer. I measure absolutley nothing on the load side of the transformer. I believe it's A/C in and A/C out, but it's been a long time since I've done anything with transformers.

I have pulled the transformer. It's all coroded. The terminals seem to be ok.

It is BE2674500 1##
PRI 115V 55/60Hz
SEC 24V
HQ 1008788??????
Basler Electric Highland

So 120VAC in and 24VAC out.

Any other ideas than the transformer? Any idea where to pick up a transformer on Christmas morning?

Thanks to any who respond.
Hardware, Home Depot, Lowes. The y sell them for door bells. It will be large enough to handle the furnace load but you will need a 40VA rated transformer to power the a/c come spring time.

Push come to shove remove your home transformer from the door bell.

Gotta be careful though. Trans don't just blow by themselves. You may have another prob on top.

Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 12:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

We suffered through a chilly Christmas huddled around the gas fireplace. A great family bonding experience.

This morning I purchased a transformer and replace it. The furnnce kicked on and we have heat.

I did find the bigger problem. The humidifier sprung a leak. It drippeddown and coroded the old transformer. So I have disconnected that and will wait for a warmer day to troubleshoot it.

Thanks for the thoughts
olgranddad is offline   Reply With Quote