Comfortmaker RPJ - 1 Flash - Nothing ON - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Comfortmaker RPJ - 1 Flash - Nothing ON

Hi all,

A lovely way to start the new year, the furnace goes out.

I have a Comfortmaker RPJ II Model GUI100A012BIN. I believe the house was built about 1994. This is the original furnace.

I am getting 1 flash which says its in lockout mode.

The ignitor does not heat up. There is no clicking for the flame.

Two weeks ago I cleaned the flame sensor and the furnace has worked fine until now. I replaced the filter in mid October.

I have power to the unit. If I turn the fan ON instead of AUTO it runs fine. I have shut down the system, rebooted it, and still don't have anything remotely trying to turn on.

I have held the lockout switch IN and received the 1 flash. It doesn't repeat the sequence.

Any ideas?

Thank You

Advertisement

olgranddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

I would recomend putting on the bottom door shutting the power off at the disconet switch for 5 seconds and then restart furnace. Know I would watch what happens from there. report back

Advertisement

trollmastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:23 PM   #3

I have done that a number of times (5 seconds through 5 minutes). I have shut power down from the disconnect switch, as well as, from the breaker. I secure the lower panel and still nothing happens. The ignitor doesn't even start to warm.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Rewards Points: 500

Hi oldgrandad

If this unit has a Honeywell Smart Valve it sounds like this could be your problem. If it does the only way to repair the problem is to change the gas valve. But to make this determination. I would like for you to first check all limits and make sure you don't have one open. If you could be a little more detailed I could nail it down for you.

Good luck
Rusty
#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:43 PM   #5

Does this furnace have a ventor motor.it may be locking out because it tries three times and then lockes out.I dont think rpj has a ventor.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi trollmastergeneral

The Comfortmaker, Arcoaire, Heil, and Tempstars have used a inducer since the mid 80's. That about the time the government really cracked down on furnace efficency. And you could have just hit on the problem. It could be the pressure switch not making or could even be its not breaking the contacts.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #7

I don't see a "Ventor Motor" on any of my documentation. I do see the "Induce Draft Blower" which is not operating. I see the shaft inside of the motor windings turn very slowly. I do see the "Supply Air Blower Motor" which operates when I put the Fan on ON instead of AUTO.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by #CARRIERMAN View Post
Hi oldgrandad

If this unit has a Honeywell Smart Valve it sounds like this could be your problem. If it does the only way to repair the problem is to change the gas valve. But to make this determination. I would like for you to first check all limits and make sure you don't have one open. If you could be a little more detailed I could nail it down for you.

Good luck
Rusty
I see no mention of Honeywell anywhere on the gas valve.

I believe there is only one limit. It is to ensure the bottom panel is closed. The switch is working as when the fan is ON, it turns OFF as soon as the limit switch is OPENed by removing the panel.

Are there other limits I should be looking for?
Old 01-01-2007, 04:34 PM   #9

Upon reading more...the manual says

"When the 120V power source is energized, the control module will flash once, indicating the system is ready for operation." THIS IS MY SINGLE FLASH

I don't have any flashes after that.

The manual then says "On a call for heat, the thermostat contacts close, signaling the control module". When I changed the thermostat target point from below to above the current temperature, I hear the contacts close.

Then the manual says "The control module continuously performs a self check routine. If at any time the control senses a failure, internally or externally, the indicator light will respond using the following code...."

Internal failure - Steady Light
External failure - Flashing Light

I never see a steady light nor a flashing light.

Then the manual says "The control module will check for normally closed contacts on the high limit and normally open contacts on the pressure switch. The system will then energize the induced draft blower, and purge for 30 seconds."

I do not see the furnace do this.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:37 PM   #10

Induced draft blower and ventor motor mean the same thing. If this is turning very slow it probably has a bad motor or you may find something like a bird or squrial in the motor assembly.Already taken out 2 this year myself. Shut off the power to furnace and carefully touch the vent motor if it is" hot "I would pull motor off and check it.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollmastergeneral View Post
Induced draft blower and ventor motor mean the same thing. If this is turning very slow it probably has a bad motor or you may find something like a bird or squrial in the motor assembly.Already taken out 2 this year myself. Shut off the power to furnace and carefully touch the vent motor if it is" hot "I would pull motor off and check it.
The motor is basement temperature. I was able to stop it from turning, but I had to turn the Fan/Blower OFF.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #12

I think there is some confusion here so I will try to straightn this out.There is a blower in the bottom of the furnace, this can be turned on manualy at the thermostat if it is wired in.The exhaust motor,ventor motor,or induced draft motor are all the same thing.this motor turns on when there is a call for heat.The purpose of this motor is to exhaust the fumes from the furnace. does the induced draft motor on yours come on? You will probaly have to have the top door of furnace off.make sure bottom door is on because there is a safety switch on this one.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollmastergeneral View Post
I think there is some confusion here so I will try to straightn this out.There is a blower in the bottom of the furnace, this can be turned on manualy at the thermostat if it is wired in.The exhaust motor,ventor motor,or induced draft motor are all the same thing.this motor turns on when there is a call for heat.The purpose of this motor is to exhaust the fumes from the furnace. does the induced draft motor on yours come on? You will probaly have to have the top door of furnace off.make sure bottom door is on because there is a safety switch on this one.
The induced draft motor does not come on.

I did notice it was turning very slowly. The induced draft motor turns slowly when the blower is manually turned ON at the thermostat. Otherwise it does not turn at all.

The bottom door is on securely fully pressing the lock out switch. The blower will not turn if the lock out is not pressed. The blower will manually turn ON, so I assume the lock out is pressed.

Thank you for your responses and help
Old 01-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #14

If the induced draft motor does not spin up to speed the presure switch will not make allowing furnace to light can you check for voltage at the motor leads when there is a call for heat.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:02 PM   #15
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi oldgranddad

Trollmaster just hit the nail on the head. You have a bad inducer assy. If this motor does not come up to speed it will not make the pressure switch and will not allow the burners to come on. Some of them had oil ports on them, if your lucky you might be able to oil it and get through the night. Trollmaster good job.

Rusty

Advertisement