Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #1

Share |

Comfortmaker M/N - GNJ150N2C1

I am having some problems with a Comfortmaker Nat. gas furnace. The M/N - GNJ150N2C1. The HSI was replaced 3 weeks ago and now it won't ignite. I'm told the problem is in the Honeywell "smart valve". The Inducer runs, pressure swt. is made, and all the roll out limits and main limit are closed. There are 2 limits on the blower wheel that are closed. The HSI was replaced again today. Should I have the service company replace the gas valve and the printed circuit board or should I replace the furnace? The date code on this system is a 1996. Any Ideas?

bendover2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

The dumb valve has its own internal circuit board, the other board is a fan timer and very reliable so it does not need changing. I would lean towards a new furnace as it will be more reliable. Where I am at 15 yrs when the cost of repairs starts getting high most people replace the furnace for reliability reasons. Might last another 5 yrs but will likely need more repairs to get it there. That valve is not used anymore and is a ongoing problem. Thats a big 150,000 BTU furnace. Are you sure it is not too big for the house? Should do a heat loss calc as lots of them were oversized. That will shorten it's life.

Load Calculator

Last edited by yuri; 02-29-2012 at 06:33 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
HVAC Tech/ Browns Fan

If the HSI was replaced again doesn't mean to replace valve. The smart valve will not knock out the HSI. It can be back after couple months. But the question is if is the right one. Is this time has the flame sensor with the hsi?
Tator1076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
The dumb valve has its own internal circuit board, the other board is a fan timer and very reliable so it does not need changing. I would lean towards a new furnace as it will be more reliable. Where I am at 15 yrs when the cost of repairs starts getting high most people replace the furnace for reliability reasons. Might last another 5 yrs but will likely need more repairs to get it there. That valve is not used anymore and is a ongoing problem. Thats a big 150,000 BTU furnace. Are you sure it is not too big for the house? Should do a heat loss calc as lots of them were oversized. That will shorten it's life.

Load Calculator
same here yuri when we get high repair bills we start looking at the age of furnace....most people can agree with that ..as long as they can afford too.....ben 17-20 yrs....15 is a little tough to sell...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
hvac5646 (02-29-2012)