Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Comfortmaker Help Please

I have searched this forum and cannot quite find what my problem may be. I do not know the furnace however have learned a lot from this forum.

This happens on an annual winter basis (past 4 years). I have had people out every year and it seems as if it's a minor problem. I'm not even quite sure what they have done to make any repairs as they've never replaced a part. They've taken the lower door off and then say it's repaired. Low and behold it works for the balance of the winter, whatever they've done.

It's a comfortmaker rpj (not II) 1990. The igniter lights the burners try to ignite. Get a whoosh as if they are starting then they go off. My son is afraid we're going to blow up as sometimes the flames shoot out the front of the series of tubes (3). First tube on the right always burns with no problem then the other two try. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. It seems as if they go through a series of 5 tries then I get one flash and have to turn the electricity off wait a bit then turn it back on. Sometimes if I kick (yes I typed that) the furnace it will work without the reset as long as it hasn't locked out.

I've sanded the flame sensor as indicated in other posts. I can at least identify the difference between the sensor and ignitor. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on this one? Some mornings it is awful cold as it will lockout in the middle of the night, but not always.

btngchck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:09 PM   #2

Comfortmaker Help Please

don't know if this is the problem but if the first burner lites, I assume it is the one by the igniter and the others do not then ensure that the crossover is clean. between the burners there is a path for the first burner to pass the flame to the second and then the second to the third. It could be that this crossover gets dirty and is not pass in the flame.

tholling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Mechanical Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Comfortmaker Help Please

If your unit has a delayed ignition causing a loud pop when the burners light, you have a draft issue. The heat exchanger is clogged, the inducer is not running up to speed, something along those lines. You really need someone knowledgable to look at this.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #4

Comfortmaker Help Please

The first burner always lights. The next two are like a bbq grill when lighting it with the lid down, sometimes they will stay lit after that then most other times they won't. So, that leads me to believe the flame is being passed in the crossover. I've vacuumed the burners to no avail, although it still works intermittently.

I don't believe it has a delayed ignition. As I watch the igniter gets red, the first burner lights then the second and third do the flame thing. Kind of looks like a torch, then it shuts down to try again in about a minute.

I've also noticed if I keep the thermostat at a higher temp it doesn't do the flame burst as often and will restart more often without the reset.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #5

Comfortmaker Help Please

The only thing I was wondering is how you said the second and third burners lit. It was like the flame was not being passed from one to the other, when it is passed under normal processing you would not have the burst/flash. The flash was as if the gas built up then ignited. You probable have a rollout switch that protects the unit when the gas flashes out of the burner area, it shuts the unit down. Again I'm not sure I am even on track, if this doesn't make sense then I would have a good tech come out.
tholling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #6

Comfortmaker Help Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by tholling View Post
The only thing I was wondering is how you said the second and third burners lit. It was like the flame was not being passed from one to the other, when it is passed under normal processing you would not have the burst/flash. The flash was as if the gas built up then ignited. You probable have a rollout switch that protects the unit when the gas flashes out of the burner area, it shuts the unit down. Again I'm not sure I am even on track, if this doesn't make sense then I would have a good tech come out.
OK, that sounds exactly like what's going on. I will see if something is in the crossover, maybe that will take care of the problem. I'm not quite sure exactly how the other burners are lighting but they do. thanks for the insight!