Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
union plumber.

Share |

comfortmaker going to the curb !

I have a 16 year old comfortmaker GNJ100N12A1 going to the curb ! it seems that a simple part like a flame sensor that should only cost about 40.00$ is going to cost me 400.00$. they want to sell me a kit for 400.00$ because my flame sensor took a crap. they must be on crack to think some one would pay that when you can by a replacement furnace 650.00$ that's good for at least 20yrs.time to up grade & its not going to be a comfortraper.
local370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Not too mention it's the flame sensor now but tomorrow it could be the blower motor and the day after the inducer motor and the day after that the control board and the next day the...

Always best at that age to get a new furnace which will include a warranty on everything.

Now you're going to have to install it yourself for $650 and if you do you may not end up with the warranty, more than likey not.

It would cost triple that much for me to install it, no if ands or buTts about it so something to think about. Plan on spending 2k, installed and warrantied.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
union plumber.

You bet i'm installing it ! As far as the warranty stands if it gives me s**t i will be further a head than i am now. whats in my basement is garbage & what i buy will be covered through my contractor who is my employer not some one who as you said for every one to read will do it for big bucks. I'm sure you were only injecting a little humor!
local370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by local370 View Post
You bet i'm installing it ! As far as the warranty stands if it gives me s**t i will be further a head than i am now. whats in my basement is garbage & what i buy will be covered through my contractor who is my employer not some one who as you said for every one to read will do it for big bucks. I'm sure you were only injecting a little humor!

No, I wasn't but I was trying to be honest. Only if an hvac contractor installs it will it be warrantied and only then. Your boss may not cut it.

But you are right, you'll have far, far less worries even if you do it yourself and void all warranties, than you would with that dinasaur you currently have.

Go for it, take some pics and post 'em and good luck!
Old 10-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #5

the lack of warranty sucks but it is the reality. however, it's the labor that costs the most, so the parts warranty is the smaller of the two costs. it still amazes me how you can get a full warranty on any car parts that you install yourself but not hvac parts. and cars are far more complicated than hvac.
NitroNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
I'm Your Huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate View Post
the lack of warranty sucks but it is the reality. however, it's the labor that costs the most, so the parts warranty is the smaller of the two costs. it still amazes me how you can get a full warranty on any car parts that you install yourself but not hvac parts. and cars are far more complicated than hvac.

you guys keep forgetting a new transition, new flue pipe, new gas line and drip leg, gas cock, furnace stands, etc., and lets not forget the most important aspect of it all, the liability insurance that we (our company) pays for in the accidental case your home burns to the ground. that we have to have, period.

try telling your home insurance that you installed your own furnace and then the home burned down, see if they give you one red cent.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroNate
cars are far more complicated than hvac.
I have been in both businesses, you would think that statement to be true. But then reality sets in. Hvac is more complicated for some reason. Maybe if there was a haines or chilton manual......
Master of Cold is offline   Reply With Quote