Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2007, 04:55 PM   #1

Share |

Comfortmaker A/C compressor not running

3 year old unit, not overly used. The A/C's fan comes on but I do not hear the compressor. Air blowing into rooms is room temperature. Is the compressor on a separate fuse than the fan and possibly I just have a blown fuse, or is it just that the compressor is dead?
catamaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:04 PM   #2

Check the capacitor.

Go Bucks and Applachian State!
Buckeyetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #3

thanks. the capacitor looks fine. one shop said it might be that the refrigerant is out. but wouldn't the compressor still be running even if the refrgerant is out? I've heard sometimes the compressor just kinda freezes and needs to be restarted somehow??

Go Big Red!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #4

The capacitor may look fine but might be no good. Have you got a meter to check the mfd's of the capacitor.

The system may have a loss of pressure switch, but I don't think the Comformakers do. The compressor could be bad but I'm leaning more towards the capacitor until it's verified to be good. It should be within 10 percent of the rating.

Do you have 208/220 going to the compressor? Is it hot to the touch? Can you hear it hum then go quiet? Bad capacitors account for at least 25 percent of my calls this year.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #5

on second inspection it may be the capacitor. its leaking! is there is hope that the compressor is not damaged?

had a technichian come out. said refrigerant fine and replaced capacitor but compressor not starting up. installed a hard start relay, it worked. Should I be worried about it starting up the next time though?

Last edited by catamaran; 09-02-2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #6

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The compressor has been trying to start, the internal motor just needs a bit of help now. Fairly common. I've seen them go 10-11 years with a hard start kit. Don't be the victim of a "hard sell" and replace it until it's either totally gone or you want to upgrade to something more efficient!

Buckeye