Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Share |

comfortmaker - 4 blink error - "open high limit switch"

Any ideas on what this could mean? What's odd, is that when my furnace cycles on, the burners kick in fine and from what I can tell the little motor/fan that pulls the CM out is working fine, so the burners stay on but when the normal cycle kicks on turning on the fan, I get this real odd "humming" sound and the blower does not turn on - it lasts for about 1 minute - then the whole systems shuts down again. I looked and the error message was 4 blinks - or Open High Limit Switch. I'm wondering if something is wrong with the blower? What's the issue! Help! Getting cold. I am likely going to call heating expert to come by, but want to be educated as I always feel I get stuck with a very high bill for a minor issue. I have not build a relationship with an HVAC resource in this area yet.

ericro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Sounds like your blower motor is seized up. Have the tech show you that manually. If it spins freely then it may be the fan relay on the circuit board (need new board) is buzzing and faulty (rare). Make sure you see him test the capacitor in case it is weak (rare). That item is under $50 and the rest are $300 - $800 etc.

Last edited by yuri; 01-17-2009 at 11:14 AM.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #3

wow that sounds expensive... I will have him check the board and such for sure. THe fan definitely spins freely - I checked it - cleaned everything as best I could. It's definitely still shutting down once the blower attempts to turn on. I spoke with my step-father who is an expert in commercial HVAC and his feedback mirrors yours essentially. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

The capacitor is usually a 5/7.5/10 microfarad mfd so don't let Bubba sell you a motor and slip in a capacitor. MOST techs are honest. Try turning your fan switch on the thermostat to ON. This will energize a cooling relay/different fan speed. If the motor runs then the problem is with the board.

Last edited by yuri; 01-17-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
The capacitor is usually a 5/7.5/10 microfarad mfd so don't let Bubba sell you a motor and slip in a capacitor. MOST techs are honest. Try turning your fan switch on the thermostat to ON. This will energize a cooling relay/different fan speed. If the motor runs then the problem is with the board.
I disagree if the blower runs with the fan in the on position it may be you have one speed burned out you should still change the motor but often one speed will short but the others will be ok for a short time. I have restored heat by changing speeds also if you change the motor change the cap at the same time a cheap part thet could have caused the problem to start with.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:56 PM   #6
Hvac Pro

Possible to burn out 1 speed but very rare. I always change the capacitor with a new motor. When they go they usually slow down the motor and overheat it.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #7

SO here's the good news - we're getting a new furnace... Apparently our heat exchanger is cracked and blowing COM in the house - along with a blown motor - it worked fine when he tested it at first but we let it run and it was obvious the motor was blown - something about the stages or something... the speeds? Anyway - it's toast. So since the furnace is a crap comfortmaker thrown in about 15 years ago, we're going to likely just replace it with a new trane - which will pair with our new trane A/C anyway. If I have it fixed it would likely run about 1500 - and why put a new engine in a crap used car? The bad news is it will cost a lot I'm sure... Freekin home ownership.

Thanks for all input
Old 01-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Hvac Pro

It was a crappy furnace/prone to heat ex failure. Glad the motor died B4 the CO got you. My local utility co will finance furnaces cheaply 6.5% interest and allow people to pay for them on the gas bill. Check with yours and for any rebates to buy a high efficiency unit.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #9

Thanks for the input man - I agree - I have a 3 year old and less than 2 week old girl at home, and once he mentioned that the heat exchange was broken and ran a CO test and said it was off the chart high - I was happy to hear he found the issue NOW before it effected my family's health. We are going to go with the new Trane XV95. Our local folks were actually the ones who installed our trane AC unit a few years ago (prior to us owning the home) and they've been pretty good to us, so I have to image they are reputable and wouldn't rip us off (they've been here for like 80 years). Anyone know anything about the trane model we're selecting? It sounds like it has all the options you could ask for - I love the variable speed blower with "comfort R" which seems to eliminate the issues we have with heating and cooling a few rooms properly in our house.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Hvac Pro

If you can afford it I recommend the 10-12 yr extended warranty on ANY brand of furnace. Not because they break down a lot but it gives you peace of mind/cheap insurance from unexpected repairs for that amount of time. You do need to do a proper yearly maintenance check. I don't understand why people will spend $6000 on a furnace and get all nuts over a $95 tuneup. Then have to go on the internet to solve some basic preventable problems. False economy in my opinion.

Good Luck
Old 01-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #11

I think it's more false confidence.. like most I think I can fix anything - but I will not mess with a furnace.. ever.

The good news is that this company offers a 10 year warranty - on everything - labor, parts, etc. I asked a million questions - sounds like it covers everything. I'm guessing it's a trane warranty - they also warranty the heat exchanger for 20 years which I thought was good. You're right, piece of mind. They are installing for about $5K for including a fairly expensive touch screen thermo that apparently I can control from my PHONE or internet! What a step up from my confortmaker! I like the idea of the variable blower speeds - including the 24/7 setting which circulates are all the time to ensure an even distribution - which is something we DON'T have with a single stage crapbox. I think the money will be worth it.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericro View Post
SO here's the good news - we're getting a new furnace... Apparently our heat exchanger is cracked and blowing COM in the house - along with a blown motor - it worked fine when he tested it at first but we let it run and it was obvious the motor was blown - something about the stages or something... the speeds? Anyway - it's toast. So since the furnace is a crap comfortmaker thrown in about 15 years ago, we're going to likely just replace it with a new trane - which will pair with our new trane A/C anyway. If I have it fixed it would likely run about 1500 - and why put a new engine in a crap used car? The bad news is it will cost a lot I'm sure... Freekin home ownership.

Thanks for all input
What's "COM?" Do you mean Carbon Monoxide? Did you have CO detectors in the house?

Since you're getting new a new Trane, is it one of the ultra high efficient ones where exhaust is via a PVC pipe vice flue?

Also, does your include a heat pump for heat with gas backup?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:28 AM   #13

5k for a furnace and a stat you will probably need to refer to the manual every time you want to make any changes id keep looking but thats me good luck
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 AM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Are they going to re size it to match the load of the house.
Or just put in the same size you have.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 03:00 PM   #15

[ - which is something we DON'T have with a single stage crapbox. I think the money will be worth it.[/quote]

Just fyi Comfort maker also has all of those options two stage gas very able speed constant fan etc. On a 90% furnace the heat exchanger is a life time warranty. I am a Hiel dealer and you can get all that on a Hiel as well. In fact all brands offer it.

I like the two stage gas valve but am not sold on the very able speed motor. They fail frequently and I hate telling the HO it will cost $800 dollars to replace the motor.

One last word the industry is going to the 10 year warranty on parts, just be informed you will get charged a handling fee on those parts. The way it is written verys from Manufacturer to Manufacturer but they all say it. 10 years on labor is unheard of in my area, is it through a warranty provider Like Travelers or GMAC or is this the companey warranty? Do you need to have them service the unit annualy to keep it in tact?

Good Luck (our average cost for a +90% two stage Varyable is $3500 thats with a ten year parts life time Heatexchanger)

Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote