Combing The A/C Unit - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Combing The A/C Unit

Can anyone give me an estimate on what it would cost to have someone comb out the fins on my AC unit? Good ole' hail storm beat it to death.

Advertisement

ws450r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Combing The A/C Unit

Unless you want to try combing the fins out yourself it's probably going to cost more to have it done than it would cost to replace the unit and it will probably never be as efficient as before the fins were damaged.

I keep a set of fin combs with my tools, but would never try to comb out an entire coil. I just comb small spots that get damaged and even then it takes a long time to get them straight.

Hail is tough on coil fins. Can you post a picture of your condensing unit?

Advertisement

Old 09-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #3

Combing The A/C Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Unless you want to try combing the fins out yourself it's probably going to cost more to have it done than it would cost to replace the unit and it will probably never be as efficient as before the fins were damaged.

I keep a set of fin combs with my tools, but would never try to comb out an entire coil. I just comb small spots that get damaged and even then it takes a long time to get them straight.

Hail is tough on coil fins. Can you post a picture of your condensing unit?
Well that sounds promising. /sarcastically. Insurance guy told me they can comb it out, and he gave me an cost of $192. I haven't gotten ahold of any HVAC guys yet to come take a look yet. I don't think the insurance is going to pay and have it replaced. It's not totally beat in all over, just spots.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

Combing The A/C Unit

Yes, I've seen a lot of condensing unit coils that have had hail damage. Most are completely flat and unable to be combed. Once the fins get sharply bent so far and flattened onto each other combing becomes almost impossible without tearing the fins.

If it's just damaged in places then it's possible that it can be done.

RTUs are the worst and usually the owner buys the hail guards for the new units.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:54 AM   #5

Combing The A/C Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrk8r View Post
Yes, I've seen a lot of condensing unit coils that have had hail damage. Most are completely flat and unable to be combed. Once the fins get sharply bent so far and flattened onto each other combing becomes almost impossible without tearing the fins.

If it's just damaged in places then it's possible that it can be done.

RTUs are the worst and usually the owner buys the hail guards for the new units.
Thanks for the info. I guess the first order of business is to get someone out to take a look at it and go from there.