Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Share |

Coleman Series 90 Furnace To a White=Rodgers 50E47-843

I'm trying to hook up the above and it seems like it's a round peg in a square hole sort of thing, but it's all I could find locally.
I have my l1, l2 and igniter figured out but what about the fp, mv1 and mv2 and th and tr leads on the module?
Any help would sure be appreciated.
Mugsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #2

Those universal type modules usually come with detailed instructions and a list of modules it will replace. Check the list, may not interchange with your module.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #3

I was told at the store by an installer that this one would work on nearly anything. The main thiing is the thermostat lead. I wonder if I can drop that on in favor of the rest of the furnace switching it...
Thanks again.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsie View Post
I was told at the store by an installer that this one would work on nearly anything. The main thiing is the thermostat lead. I wonder if I can drop that on in favor of the rest of the furnace switching it...
Thanks again.
An installer is not a technician and a lot of misguided hvac guys will give a diy bad info just to mess them up.

Think of it this way, you are fixing your own furnace...some PROs would look at that as you stealing bread from their table.

If one of my wholesalers sold a furnace part to a DIY while I was there to witness it, it would tell me that wholesaler does not value my business enough if he blatantly sells parts to the general public.

I am sorry to say you may have been punked.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Hvac Pro

Those so called "universal modules" (HSI ones) are NOT very universal. I checked the list of makes models etc they replace and it is very sparse. They have a large disclaimer that it should be tested by a Pro and not guaranteed to have all the same specs and features as an OEM board. I won't stock them in my truck for that reason. Someone will die when one gets goofed up, just a matter of time.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 PM   #6

I decided to wait until Monday to get a better module, so decided to fix the other stuff I knew was wrong with the furnace. I had a condensate leak on my vent blower, so I pulled off my vent blower to fix that and found the squirrel cage had exploded. I also found the condensate line was plugged coming off of the vent blower.
In the end I seem to have found the real problem. In spite of the nice sounding vent fan, it wasn't moving any air.
The guy where I purchased the ignition module had said If it wasn't installed I could take it back.
Not to sure how much a squirrel cage will be, but maybe, just maybe, I will come out ahead. I may need to buy the whole ass'y. I think I will also replace all the condensate hose while I'm there.
Thanks guys, without your help I would have had a module that won't work and still have to replace the fan parts.

Last edited by Mugsie; 11-20-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuri View Post
Those so called "universal modules" (HSI ones) are NOT very universal. I checked the list of makes models etc they replace and it is very sparse. They have a large disclaimer that it should be tested by a Pro and not guaranteed to have all the same specs and features as an OEM board. I won't stock them in my truck for that reason. Someone will die when one gets goofed up, just a matter of time.
The facts you posted is exactly how the poor OP got punked. I don't use the universal integrated boards at all.

The older units that used a separate ignition module could be replaced by a Honeywell or Robertshaw or W/R module.

When the new universal intergrated modules came out I saw them as a liability litigation waiting to happen.