Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Coleman furnace ground or polarity fault

I have a high efficiency 96% furnace, Coleman TM9T100C16MP11A, that has started giving me 9 blinking red lights on panel. It has been installed for 2 years. A year ago it messed up and I had a hvac guy repair it and he said my wires were backwards then and it has worked fine since. I was na´ve to blink codes so I don't know what code it gave then.

I used a multimeter and checked voltage from the black wire to the furnace's ground and got 98v and from the white wire to the ground 8v. Checking line voltage between the black and white give me 125v.

I tried switching the polarity back from what the tech did a year ago to no avail and had tried to run a new ground wire to the ground connector next to the burners but nothing is correcting the issue.

The guy that installed the furnace had said that York/Coleman recommends a dedicated line from the fuse box which I am in the process of doing, hoping that will resolve the issues.

Any other suggestions are welcomed.

Ty

tytek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 508

I would recommend you check all connections on that circuit. Somewhere there is a loose or corroded connection. You should never see voltage between the neutral and ground.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to danpik For This Useful Post:
tytek (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpik View Post
I would recommend you check all connections on that circuit. Somewhere there is a loose or corroded connection. You should never see voltage between the neutral and ground.
That circuit had all kinds of problems.. I got the new dedicated circuit ran and the ground fault error is resolved.

Unfortunately, now I am back to my code 4, bad motor. I have my replacement motor in hand and waiting on new caps.. be here tomorrow. Too bad the winter advisory is for tonight
Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 AM   #4

Changed run cap, no change.
Changed motor and found the real culprit, the old motor went bad as a result of a broken mounting bracket with one leg broke completely off. Put new motor in and rigged it to run smoothly so now my house is up to temp, just waiting on new bracket to finish the repair.